Alternative to the arduino IDE

Talk about (almost) anything

Alternative to the arduino IDE

Postby Sorunome » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:23 am

If you are like me then you probably missed a whole lot of features in the arduino IDE, such as macros, a dark theme, propper indentation, plugin support etc.

So I went ahead and wrote a package for Atom (A greatly hackable editor by github) which allows me to compile / verify / upload scetches all within the atom editor! View it here!

It evens upports a serial port, so that you can read what the arduino sends or send something to it. What's also neat is that you can click on file names in the error output and it'll jump right to that file / line so that you don't have to do the searching yourself :)

I've been actually using this package to develop my part of the RPG engine, IMO it is pretty useful.

Why am I posting it now? Well, because of some incompability within atom it wasn't too straight-forward to install, but with atom 1.10 it just installs out-of-the-box, so yaaay!
Sorunome

Re: Alternative to the arduino IDE

Postby rodot » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:53 am

Nice project !

Have you heard about PlatformIO ? It supports Arduino, mBed... it even has the Gamebuino library included, and it's based on Atom ;)

Personally I use Visual Studio along with the Visual Micro plugin, and/or the Atmel Studio so I can even debug my programs.
rodot
Site Admin

Return to General forum