MAKERbuino in the shop

Talk about (almost) anything

MAKERbuino in the shop

Postby albertinjo » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:38 pm

Hello fellow Gamebuino fans, my name is Albert Gajšak, I'm an 18 year-old student from Croatia and I would like to present to you my latest project: the MAKERbuino (http://www.makerbuino.com/)
[youtube]roSKvLbrUek&t[/youtube]
This is a DIY kit version of the Gamebuino game console. It was designed to be soldered as easy as possible.
Targeted audience are all sorts of various people that like soldering and doing stuff with their hands.
Price: 39€ + shipping.
Age limit: 11+
Preorders will be shipped in about a month (late December)
If you have any questions in regards to the MAKERbuino, don't hesitate to ask them in this forum thread.
preorders blue_558x480.jpg
preorders blue_558x480.jpg (91.75 KiB) Viewed 2900 times

But wait... how did this even get in the shop?
Well I'll try to tell you the short version of the story:

I was on the forum and following Gamebuino since the initial campaign and I always wanted a Gamebuino version you can solder yourself.
That's why I started building my own Gamebuino clones on proto boards. You can even find those old posts on the forum if you search for them.

Some of my professors, mentors and friends saw the Gamebuino clones I was making and they were really amazed.
I even wrote a few articles for local magazines on this topic of assembling the DIY Gamebuino.
I found this surprising (mostly because I was 15 back then) but also because people were really interested in the fact that anyone can build a game console in this modern day and age.
The project was then in a hibernation-like state for about a year until I started following the growing popularity of the Maker Movement. I got interested, tried going and exhibiting my work on a Maker Faire and I got ADDICTED.
I think of every Maker Faire as a great learning experience that is also fun - you're surrounded by various people showing off their cool project, mods, hacks, cool gadgets...
While exhibiting on Maker Faires I was also carrying my old DIY Gamebuino prototypes and people would ask me "hey, you built this yourself? WOW that's really cool". Some of them even asked why I'm not selling these as kits and well... that's where the idea started

I started improving the initial prototype this year and started spending more and more time and money on the project.
I don't know whether you believe in luck (or faith) but I was really lucky while visiting a Maker Faire in Rome this year - the biggest one in Europe (organized by Arduino) and I met this cool dude named Rodot - the father of Gamebuino and my idol in a way. I was visiting the faire with Jonnection, a chilly ingenious dude that I met on this very forum. Rodot, Jonnection and I met in Rome and we had a blast.

DSC08527_1579x1050_1579x1050_640x426.JPG
DSC08527_1579x1050_1579x1050_640x426.JPG (126.52 KiB) Viewed 2900 times

Rodot's Gamebuino made me learn so many new things, and developing the MAKERbuino was so much fun.

3 years have passed since I've made the first DIY Makerbuino prototype.
I've visited numerous faires in Croatia, Italy, Austria.
MAKERbuino has a supplier, resellers, professional PCBs, packaging, a web site, social media channels.... Rodot has generously helped with the MAKERbuino project, listed it on his shop, became the official MAKERbuino reseller.
Jonnection is now working on a project named Pokitto (http://www.pokitto.com/), a game console that was also in a way inspired by Gamebuino.

On the picture you can see the latest version vs. three years ago.
P1230327_640x427.JPG
P1230327_640x427.JPG (91.64 KiB) Viewed 2900 times

Now I am not trying to exaggerate this but Gamebuino defined my life in a way - I am working on MAKERbuino almost everyday for the past 6 moths, I am investing all the money and time I had in the project, visiting the faires with the MAKERbuino connected me to so many brilliant people.
This is a great example of how open-source projects like Gamebuino can inspire people to learn programming and electronics, make something on their own, create, hack, mod, develop their skills, connect, exchange knowledge...

Gamebuino - connecting people since 2013.
Gamebuino FTW
albertinjo

Re: MAKERbuino in the shop

Postby jonnection » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:19 pm

Congrats Albert & kudos to Rodot for taking in the MAKERbuino to the official shop

The MAKERbuino is a really good, and its a perfect first soldering DIY kit for anyone interested in electronics. People in Rome were absolutely bonkers about MAKERbuino's.

Let's hope Gamebuiniverse gets lots of new enthusiastic Gamebuinians through the MAKERbuino project.
jonnection

Return to General forum