buinomon open development

Talk about (almost) anything

buinomon open development

Postby adekto » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:12 pm

this post has been split up into story and art development

(old post)
wel guys it looks like the first design challenge format still has some iseus (the april design challenge is still open)

but this one i can not wait till may so it going to be an new challenge, here we go
this challenge its going to be Buinómon (working title) the user by the name of constantgamer247 brought up

so in short its going to be inspirited by Pokemon rpg's
the first challenge is design a monster (really go wild on this one) ether in high resolution or already in pixel art form grey is allowed (preferably under 48x48 pixels)

second part of the challenge is story any over arching story's and goals

have fun, this challenge will end on may 1st and then we will review and see how we progress in development

update:
we currently settled on the story of digital monsters that are in the wild and have mutated/evolved to there surroundings and the player is on a quest to collect all there "source code"

current roster:
update_2.jpg
update_2.jpg (219.03 KiB) Viewed 14600 times

buinomon that won the april chalange:
april_winners.png
april_winners.png (22.09 KiB) Viewed 14600 times

Backstory:
10 years have passed since the world changed. Whether it was for the better or not is a discussion of debate, but ten years ago science made the world as we know it a very different one than we knew.
We were always fascinated with the virtual world, it could be whatever we wanted it to be, as big as we wanted it to be, yet we could never go there ourselves. Ten years ago, this changed… Sort of. Scientists had been striving to store physical objects in the virtual world, scanning and dematerializing them and storing their information in virtual space.
The first prototype dematerializer was the center of global intrigue. Would it work? Could we retrieve the object afterwards? The questions were endless. But all questioning ended when the prototype succeeded in it’s maiden operation, storing a written letter. The storage was successful, now came the retrieval. No one knows what caused it, whether it was a fluke or a conspiracy, but at the moment the machine was ordered to retrieve the letter a stampede of creatures appeared instead.
adekto

Re: mid april design challenge

Postby constantgamer247 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:43 am

loose ideas for a story floating around right now. I'de like to make this game heavy on the plot and character development.

A world that kind of resembles ours and is in a semi state of utopia until one day when something/some force interferes with the balance and order creating the Buinós and the world struggles to figure out how they fit in. Some characters collect them, some characters fight them, some characters eat them, some characters use them for a labour force (cover all the relationships that humans have with Pokémon in the world of Pokémon). Basically drag up a whole bunch of moral issues that affect us in our real lives, in regards to the colonization and exploitation of other animals and people, but equally represent both sides of the issue and allow the player to make decisions that affect the story, progression and outcome of the game.

I'll submit my art soon.
constantgamer247

Postby adekto » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:51 am

wel il have to start myself then heres a little cat like creature with a little emerald like thing on its head
idk if we are going to use evolutions, but im just doing a adult and kid version
(im sorry i realy love meowth)
Attachments
buinomon.png
buinomon.png (3.89 KiB) Viewed 15806 times
adekto

Postby ripper121 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:49 am

I think we can convert this pokemon list to 3 colors and 84x48 pixel
http://www.retrogamezone.co.uk/pokemonredblue.htm

ripper121

Postby phi » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:07 am

Aside from copyright problems - where is the challenge when you convert existing pokemons?
I think it is much more fun if you create one yourself.
phi

Postby ripper121 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:11 am

phi wrote:Aside from copyright problems - where is the challenge when you convert existing pokemons?

Can used free : http://www.retrogamezone.co.uk/disclaimer.htm

You can also modifie it for the individual part ^^
ripper121

Postby adekto » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:16 am

i totally agree with u phi, this is not the point to make a straight out clone with ripped sprites
also dont u want to play something new?
adekto

Postby SilentSpy » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:19 pm

Mind me asking what program you guys are using to make those images?
SilentSpy

Postby ripper121 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:21 pm

You can use paint with the pencil and zomm in max.
Set the page size to 84x48pixel.

But better is to use Gimp or other paint programms with layers.
ripper121

Postby allan175 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:04 pm

ripper121 wrote:
phi wrote:Aside from copyright problems - where is the challenge when you convert existing pokemons?

Can used free : http://www.retrogamezone.co.uk/disclaimer.htm

No, they can't be used free. The people on that site have "ripped" them from official Nintendo games (as well as other companies). The relevant company still has the copyright to them, and even if your game is non-commercial you could still get into legal trouble with them.

Also, more annoying, is that they then say things like "You can't use these sprites without crediting the ripper.", which is in effect them trying to take credit for sprites that they haven't drawn and just copied out of a game.
allan175

Next

Return to General forum