A Simple Fishing Game

Advice on general approaches or feasibility and discussions about game design

A Simple Fishing Game

Postby DrWhoCares » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:11 am

Hello, to start off let me explain a bit about myself.

I am in love with fishing in video games. From little minigames, to professions in RPG's. One of my favorite fishing implementations in games is found in Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening. It's a completely optional, easy to play game, which although isn't very rewarding (After you get the piece of heart), I still find fun.

I thought this game would be perfect to emulate on a Gamebuino, problem is, I have absolutely zero experience with Arduino, and there is much to learn. I created this 40 image gif to show a bit of what I'm looking to create. Obviously I'll start with the basics and work up from there, but hopefully after a while I will have a full emulation of Link's Awakening's Fishing minigame.

The pink is the normal background. The dark green is black, the light green could be grey (If I could figure out how to do three colors), the water could be alternating black and grey (Once again, if three colors is possible).

You would cast the line with A, sending it further out or in by pressing the <- or -> buttons.
Press A to reel in the fish (Runts being easier to reel than Lunkers), until caught.

There's a lot of optional things I could add in, but these are simple controls.

---
That being said I haven't started work yet, I just did designing today and made these sprites, having no graphical intuition at all, I'm pretty proud of them so there's that.

Hopefully classes wont overwhelm me with work and I'll be able to code up something, at least a title screen, soon. I'll update and edit this post with any and all updates.
DrWhoCares

Re: A Simple Fishing Game

Postby Jolly » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:13 pm

Ah, I had totally forgotten about that little minigame. Please keep working on it, I will definitely check it out. :)
Jolly

Postby Drakker » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:33 pm

Grey is doable, but it flickers a lot in large contiguous areas. In your case it could work for the water line, but for the green area, I'd use a checkered pattern or attempt to draw something that looks vaguely like ocean bottom using a lot of dithering.
Drakker

Postby DrWhoCares » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:58 pm

Grey for the water sounds like it would add a nice effect, of course gameplay comes before looks. Ill have to look into making the walls look nice. One thought was adding a score or something to the bottom.
DrWhoCares

Postby erico » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:13 pm

Nice idea!

For the walls, look into the LUNAR RUN thread there is bunch of concepts that could help.
Fish, player and hook I guess would work with grey, but you probably would do better without it and then add it as a last thing.

For the water line, you would do better with an animated one instead. (imho)

Somehow, this brings polaris to my mind...
http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detai ... me_id=9062

Those colors are an overlay, the game is monochrome.
erico

Postby Sushi » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:32 pm

The best way to do gray is by flashing a 1px checker pattern. It works flawlessly, especially at 30fps.
Sushi

Postby Skyrunner65 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:19 pm

This sounds great. However, what is the objective?
What does the player want?
That is the most important part of any game.
Will this be a challenge game to get as many fish as you can, or perhaps a story-driven game or something.
I don't know, but it seems to be a great game.
(Probably has been done on a Popstation, though. No offense to you, but the game is simple to put on a Popstation(look it up if you don't know what a Popstation is))
Skyrunner65

Return to Project Guidance & Game development