SpelunkyBuino

Advice on general approaches or feasibility and discussions about game design

SpelunkyBuino

Postby TheHumbleSlothh » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:55 pm

I have had my GameBuino for a while now, and am running out of games to play. I think it would be awesome to make a Spelunky remake on the GameBuino! Im not sure if this would even be possible, but I may or may not be able to do the art/graphics for this project. There could be some problems with the copyright or something, but never the less I would love to see this on the GameBuino. Once again I am not capable of coding the game, so someone else will have to do that. Thanks for reading this Stupid Person's idea :D
TheHumbleSlothh

Re: SpelunkyBuino

Postby Skyrunner65 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:29 pm

Well, at the stage of development, my game Slasher could easily become this. This does not mean that I will, but it is a better idea than being a serial killer. :lol:
The only thing to be factored is resolution.
What size shall the player be?
I'll have to measure it to the regular Spelunky.
Also, I believe the name should be "Caverns". It sounds cool, and it fits the size restriction of the files (8 letters, plus 4 for .hex).
Skyrunner65

Postby TheHumbleSlothh » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:24 am

Skyrunner65 wrote:Well, at the stage of development, my game Slasher could easily become this. This does not mean that I will, but it is a better idea than being a serial killer. :lol:
The only thing to be factored is resolution.
What size shall the player be?
I'll have to measure it to the regular Spelunky.
Also, I believe the name should be "Caverns". It sounds cool, and it fits the size restriction of the files (8 letters, plus 4 for .hex).

The name sounds awesome! much better than SpelunkyBuino. I'm not sure exactly what size the player will be, but I got my inspiration,
and maybe you could too from this twitter post. https://twitter.com/eigenbom/status/496 ... 28/photo/1 Just yet me know if you come up with anything. Peace :) (Btw you might be able to find some stuff out with the google chrome game Spelunky HTL5 sizes layout ex.)
TheHumbleSlothh

Postby Skyrunner65 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:12 pm

The resolution seems to be 10.5 by 7 blocks, which doesn't match either the Gameboy or Gamebuino.
84 / 48 = 1.75 (the ratio of the Gamebuino screen)
10.5 / 7 = 1.5 (the on-screen blocks ratio)
To make the blocks the same size, there would be 8.4*4.8Blocks on screen at a time, not ideal for Spelunky, which relies both on width and height to help the player.
But it can maybe work with blocks that are 8*8 in size.
10.5*6 is pretty good,let's shoot for that. ;)
(That reminds me, I need to put the Arduino IDE on my PC AGAIN)
Skyrunner65

Return to Project Guidance & Game development