Quirby's fantastical room of port mockups...and stuff

Advice on general approaches or feasibility and discussions about game design

Re: Quirby's fantastical room of port mockups...and stuff

Postby Drakker » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:46 pm

Actually it's 8xn. Where n can be anything. For best speed you use a multiple of 8 for X, but you can use anything for Y.
Drakker

Postby Myndale » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:14 pm

That's just how the library stores them in memory though. Gamebuino doesn't have sprite hardware or anything like that so you're free to make them any size you want.
Myndale

Postby Drakker » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:25 pm

But it still draws the empty pixels at the end of the sprite, so technically, it is faster to fill the screen with 8xn tiles than 6xn tiles... not that it is going to make a huge difference in the close future with your improved drawBitmap function, but with the old function, it's a huge deal.
Drakker

Postby Quirby64 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:58 pm

That graphics info certainly helps. :) I almost thought I needed to redo my older stuff. Also, a LCD Game! An Actual LCD Game!

Mario's Cement Factory
Mario abandons his plumbing job for the gazillionth time and enters the world of working with cement. To save space, the Lives and Game/A/B are much smaller and would be represented in the menus. Also, Does anyone know how to make a Gamebuino a Watch?

The logo, too.
Quirby64

Postby Myndale » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:18 pm

Quirby64 wrote:Also, Does anyone know how to make a Gamebuino a Watch?

You need something like this: http://www.freetronics.com.au/products/real-time-clock-rtc-module#.VLw-bkeUePY, albeit preferably one that doesn't approach the cost of the Gamebuino itself. I've got one at home, they're very easy to use.
Myndale

Postby Quirby64 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:01 am

Ah, so there's no way to do it on-system? I was mainly thinking it to create a better experience of a Game & Watch. :lol:

Maybe there could be a prompt when you boot it up to tell the time, and while the program is running it could tell the time when your in the menus?
Quirby64

Postby Quirby64 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:05 am

Happy MLK Day in America!

LCD Games n' Such!

Sonic Action Game
ImageImage
One of the toys from the 2003 McDonald's campaign. Sonic jumps over platforms at 4 different speeds, and every 20 blocks jumped the speed goes up a notch.

Super Mario Race
ImageImage
A Game Watch Boy, basically, a Game & Watch on an ACTUAL Watch. Mario's the car at the bottom, & avoid the other cars. There a video on YouTube If anyone's interested in porting it.

Ralli
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
An arcade rally game, with 3 tracks and 4 cars, and (possibly) up to 4 players. Cars are Lancia Statos, Audi TT (the one with a sheet), Mini Cooper, and Ford Focus.
Quirby64

Postby Marcus » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:56 am

I love the nelsonic/nintendo game watches :-) (Awesome site: http://gamewatchguys.com/watch_collection.php)

I think many game concepts might translate - sort of a retro arcade for the Gamebuino :-)

The racing game would be fun, looks great.

Regarding time, I have ordered http://www.aliexpress.com/item/3pcs-lot ... 72109.html but did not play around with it yet.
Marcus

Postby Quirby64 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:01 pm

Hello again! I had a snow day today :D

Quick Ralli Audi TT Animation :

Mini Kirby sheet (FIANLLY) :

Tetris Game Watch :
A Nelsonic Watch (Thanks, Marcus!) A simple version of Tetris with nothing more than a 8:88 LCD and a grid for the blocks. Could probably be done easily :)

CarStrike :
A Shoot'Em'Up with cars? BLASPHEMY! Upcoming Cars would be shown by arrows to deal with the smaller space to do stuff.

Also, I came up with a Cartridge idea for GB :
I don't know how it came to mind, but the idea was putting the game on a small SD with the game and a .txt file saying that it's a Cart and not a ordinary SD, so some sort of edited bootloader could detect that. Just for fun, could be a collector's thing or something :lol:
Quirby64

Postby Quirby64 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:59 pm

ANOTHER RACING GAME! :mrgreen:

IsoRace :
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
In the vein of RC Pro-Am and Super Skidmarks and other games of that sort, it's a isometric racer. Where you drive Mini Coopers. This was good pixel art practice, so that's a thing :D
Quirby64

PreviousNext

Return to Project Guidance & Game development