Quirby's fantastical room of port mockups...and stuff

Advice on general approaches or feasibility and discussions about game design

Quirby's fantastical room of port mockups...and stuff

Postby Quirby64 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:05 am

I do lotsa mockups, most out of boredom but turn them as a challenge to get detail out of the screen And stuff. Most of these are ports of existing games, so I'll do those first...

Marble Madness :
ImageImageImage

The earliest one I did,btw.
For those who don't know, you avoid obstacles and go down an isometric level. I love this game :D

Chuckie Egg :

A game for a thing called an Acorn ELectron. Collect all the eggs and gold to complete the level. The enemies I didn't draw, though. :shock:

Overdrive :

Another Electron game. Just go fast like a speeding hedgehog, and avoid cars. 8-)

Q*Bert :

We a know this..right? Turn all the blocks a different color to beat the level. :)

Revs :

A game for a microcomputer like the Electron, the BBC Micro. It's a verrrrry advanced-for-it's-time F1 Racer.

Sim City (Original) :

You build a city and see stuff happen and get lotsa money! And stuff!

Sphere of Destiny :

The final Electron game here, I swear. What can I say? It's games are simple. Go through a grid at extreme speeds rivaling Sonic and get to the goal as fast as possible.

And my one Original game. XD
Square VS. Square : The Chase :

The game plays like this - P1 has to chase P2 and go onto his square and attack/catch whatever in 10 turns or less to win. If P2 escapes from P1 for those 10 turns, s/he wins.

So...thanks for reading this post that looks really big for what it is. Comments or something appreciated -
Quirby64

Re: Quirby's fantastical room of port mockups...and stuff

Postby Quirby64 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Annnnyone wanna play a game of Tennis?
Quirby64

Postby clement » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:02 pm

The tennis game seems to be agood idea !

What the avencement of Square VS. Square?

I look forward to test it!
clement

Postby Quirby64 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:12 am

More stuff, by nerp! :lol:

First off, a little about Square VS. Square (Sorry on the delay!) :

-After both people move one square horizontally or vertically, then it has become one turn.
-After 10 turns, the game's over.
-If P1 square got on the same space as P2 (Or "Attacked"), then P1 wins.
-If P2 square avoided P1 for the 10 turns, then P2 wins.

And now, mockups!
Pixello (Maybe)
An on-system image editor. It'd ask you to select a program and you would type out a PROGMEM name. It'd collect that code and turn the 0's and 1's into their respective pixels. After that a simple GIMP-style (because that's what I use) program to edit it. After saving it would display a new PROGMEM with the 0's and 1's with your edited image. A novelty idea really but eh.
I should also mention the CON & UCON (un/connected) functions, which act as a grid.

BuinOS
I was just messing around. The menu of the GB is simpler, so why not make it harder and play your games via a Windows-esque
OS?

Ultramini Game Collection
A collection of 8x8 mini versions of games. It would be played at x2(3?) resolution for our eyes sake. Could be a fun community project for those with less coding experience like me...maybe?

Toobin'
TOOBIN!' Aw yeah. Just slalom or race down some rivers. Could make a nice 2P game, because it could be played with 2 on one!

And finally, a piece of pixel art on one game I really,really like.
Quirby64

Postby erico » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:34 am

I like the marble madness idea, I think it would turn a good game. :)
erico

Postby Myndale » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:54 am

I'd be playing with some of these ideas myself if I didn't have 2 Gamebuino projects in serious development and another 4 on the backburner :)

After saving it would display a new PROGMEM with the 0's and 1's with your edited image. A novelty idea really but eh.

How about send via the serial port? Or even save to sd card? Or print it on the official Gamebuino printer? ;)
Myndale

Postby TediousOne » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:52 pm

These look really good. I'd like to see BuinOS[1] and Q*Bert developed.(/me is a Q*Bert fan)

Could you make a mockup for a Worms[2] like game maybe? :)

[1] Although the amount of RAM may present a problem..
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worms_%28series%29
TediousOne

Postby honolulu » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:10 pm

Quirby64 I love your work, it's so exeting to see your mockups, a Gamebuino dream :)
honolulu

Postby Quirby64 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:20 am

More original stuff this time around! But still, ports ;)

Punch St.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

I got so into this one I made all 9 levels, and both cutscenes. Just a beat em'up like River City Ransom (Street Gangs in EU) or Double Dragon. I'd like to put Items as well as stores + the empty hot dog stand in if I ever do it.

Super Mario Land
It's got catchy music and it's as basic as we can base it off of, It's SML by nerp.

Trampoline Turbo Run
A endless runner similar to Jetpack Joyride. The goal is to get as high in altitude as possible. As you need to jump higher, you need to press the down button to go higher, but pressing for too long can break the tramp. If you screw up, you can use a wing & it'd align you to the nearest tramp with a nice boost as well.

Pixel Wars
ImageImage
In the vien of Worms and Hedgewars, there's Pixel Wars. A turn based fighter-ish. Possible in 2 vs 2, 4 vs 4, or 8 vs 8, if sprite limits don't do anything about it.

And finally, titles/logos. Both ones based on real games have their logo based on it's real one as well.
ImageImageImage

I appreciate the comments, guys. :P Is there anything you think could work well on a Gamebunio? I could try to make a mockup, it'd keep me occupied :lol:
Quirby64

Postby Quirby64 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:10 am

Just made this, but I don't wanna wait on this one.

Mega Man GB
Yes, Mega Man! A series of challenging platformers makes it's way onto the Gamebuino, somewhat. Featuring such new Robot Masters as Money Man, Toast Man (I mean it :D) and Buino Man. Also, a full 6 x 6 Mega Man sheet!
Quirby64

Next

Return to Project Guidance & Game development