Gamebuino Music Tracker

Advice on general approaches or feasibility and discussions about game design

Gamebuino Music Tracker

Postby Myndale » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:26 am

Hi everyone,

I've started work on a music tracker for Gamebuino, now that the the holiday break is over I'll be resuming that development in earnest. While I have the technical ability to develop the software itself I have no experience and/or talent with actual chip tunes composition whatsoever. Cyberic and "The Other Days" have kindly offered to help with the design side but I'll be posting updates here as I progress and as always would appreciate any feedback and suggestions.

The GitHub repository for this project is here: https://github.com/Myndale/GBT

The project is being developed in WPF/MVVM (.NET 4.5), the basic architecture is in place and I've just started doing some tests with the pattern editor. Conceptually I was thinking of doing something like this:

The idea is that you can drag instruments and patterns from the tree control on the left into the panels in the main editor pane, but I'm not 100% dead-set on doing it like this if anyone thinks there's a better way. The big question mark in my mind is the effects pane on the far right....my memory of trackers dates back to the 90s and I seem to recall them having one effect per channel per row, whereas the Gamebuino music playback code allows for an arbitrary number of effects.

With respect to scheduling my aim is to get a very basic editor up and running as quickly as possible and then start building upon that. First pass will probably therefore be a single pattern editor with in-tracker playback and C code export.
Myndale

Re: Gamebuino Music Tracker

Postby Drakker » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:48 pm

I don't want to be that guy complaining all the time, but well, I'll do it one more time. ;) Is there any reason why you use WPF in .NET 4.5 rather than a more portable solution that would allow your tools to work natively on Linux / OSX / etc.? There's no plan to include WPF support in mono in the future...
Drakker

Postby Myndale » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:55 pm

Perfectly valid question, the short answer is "Because it'll be faster for me to develop". Like you, I don't have as much time to devote to Gamebuino as I'd like, and .NET is a technology that that I'm very familiar with and allows for high productivity with minimal effort. If someone else would like to have a go at writing a cross-platform tracker then that'd be great and I'd be happy to help out in any way I can. For this one though I'll be sticking to what I know best in order to get a working product up and running as quickly as possible.
Myndale

Postby Jamish » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:24 am

I worked with WPF at my last job, so I might be of some use to you. Anything specific that I could help out with? If I have time, that is...
Jamish

Postby Drakker » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:06 pm

It is unfortunately the answer I feared because it removes all hopes for a portable version. ;)
Drakker

Postby Skyrunner65 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:43 am

I just hope that it is portable, as I still have to get Windows 7 for my PC, so I can use it on my school laptop(Administrator stuff).
Skyrunner65

Postby DFX2KX » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:42 pm

Skyrunner65 wrote:I just hope that it is portable, as I still have to get Windows 7 for my PC, so I can use it on my school laptop(Administrator stuff).

It'll be .net, so it won't be, unfortunately.
DFX2KX

Postby Skyrunner65 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:43 pm

Curses.
Well, I hoped I could put it on my flash drive.
Still, cool project, I'll get it when I can support 4.5.

EDIT: How about a name?
Couple of ideas are below.
SynthBuino?
GBTracker?
Skyrunner65

Return to Project Guidance & Game development