[community project] RPG

Advice on general approaches or feasibility and discussions about game design

Re: [community project] RPG

Postby Quirby64 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:32 pm

OK so I would've posted this yesterday except I was playing a game so uh :?
But I at least did make tracks with decent percussion! as in a square with a pitch slide!
ye
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0u2mnp4f81dxv ... P.wav?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zp8c3eme93zb9 ... e.wav?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9w4o7z86hz3sa ... e.wav?dl=0
or if you have Famitracker Beta 5 you can check the tracker file here :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vgm2zouhamup0 ... G.ftm?dl=0
Now to reply to all those edits :
1. The one that's one octave higher I think you should use, in the original song C1 is one octave higher.
2. const unsigned int rb13[] PROGMEM = {0x000}; <- do that 2 times? I dunno :oops:
3. The instrument in Famitracker is a "Blank" It basically means that Its always at its highest volume no effects and all that.
4. Ok, so the instrument that I was trying to for with that is, in the Famitracker file, it has one of its smallest duration with it at 0 (mute) then from then its at the highest volume (15).
5. Good to know!...that's really all I can think of to that :)
Quirby64

Postby Sorunome » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:40 pm

Uuuuuh, where do you get famitracker? I DL'd 0.4.6 from here and it says your thing was created with a newer version.....
EDIT: nevermind, found it
EDIT2: you can also switch a track between square and noise wave btw
Sorunome

Postby Quirby64 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:48 pm

Oh yeah, probably should've put that. For anyone else who wants to try, it's at http://forums.famitracker.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=173
I actually tried a version of the boss battle with the regular noise, but it seemed too jarring/sudden/whatever compared. Thus the square wave percussion.
Quirby64

Postby Sorunome » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:58 pm

How can i tell in famitracker how long a note is playing, so that I can properly convert it? :P

The thing is, the famitracker format is different from the gamebuino one, with your length of 99 you have super-long notes and you actually need to specify an instrument / a volume...
Last edited by Sorunome on Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorunome

Postby Quirby64 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:00 pm

Ok so on the instrument "window" (basically the black box over the tracker notes and whatnot", right click the instrument "5B 00 - Square" and click edit, then you can see the simple box for volume.
simple as 1,2,4 amirite
Last edited by Quirby64 on Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quirby64

Postby Sorunome » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:42 pm

So, after some experimenting, one of the lines in famitracker is a length of 2, meaning a normal note is a length of 4, if there is that little horizontal line it's a note of length 2 followed by a pause of 2. And stuff like that. I converted track 1 already, i'll do track 2 tomorrow
Sorunome

Postby Sorunome » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:36 pm

So, wanting to create the second track I got bad news.....your notes are too low, the lowest possible for the gamebuino is A#2, and because of how octaves work there's A#2 and B2 and after that C3. (I think that's how octaves are working)..... So unfortunately your song isn't working :/

Also, just so you know, the patterns don't have to be equal length, they can be any length, the only important thing is that the overall length of track 1 is the same as the overall length as track 2
Sorunome

Postby konbick » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:38 pm

Hey everyone. I just got my Gamebuino the other day and have been watching this thread for a while now. Im an electrical engineering student but like to program for the arduino myself. I love to get my hands dirty with some RPG development but this is still new for me.
I will need some more time to get more information about what parts need to be considered when making an rpg (what are sprites, what are tiles) so thanks for the vid you already uploaded, Sorunome.
I will try to cooperate with j0z0r to make some spirtes.

Keep the great work up!
konbick

Postby Sorunome » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:08 pm

konbick wrote:Hey everyone. I just got my Gamebuino the other day and have been watching this thread for a while now. Im an electrical engineering student but like to program for the arduino myself. I love to get my hands dirty with some RPG development but this is still new for me.
I will need some more time to get more information about what parts need to be considered when making an rpg (what are sprites, what are tiles) so thanks for the vid you already uploaded, Sorunome.
I will try to cooperate with j0z0r to make some spirtes.

Keep the great work up!

Awesome! Look at the first post to see how to get dev tool access to be able to easily help with sprites!
We also need enemy designs / ideas etc. in case you wanne help with that!
Sorunome

Postby Quirby64 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:29 am

Ah, I forgot about the note limit. Fear not though, Famitracker saves the day! :mrgreen:
AKA I can transpose the songs up the right amount of notes, which is what I did to the new .ftm file :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vgm2zouhamup0 ... G.ftm?dl=0
There's also 2 new songs in there! :)
On a side note, how would I do the square C-5 and F-5 Percussion in data? I'd like to help make data for the other songs to make it easier for you, but that's my only problem I'd have doing it... :?
Quirby64

PreviousNext

Return to Project Guidance & Game development