[community project] RPG

Advice on general approaches or feasibility and discussions about game design

Re: [community project] RPG

Postby Sorunome » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:35 am

Of cource that's a valid excuse, real life is way more important than developing some game! (I'm serious about that)

Anyhow, glad you are back! So, as mentioned, I think the most urgend thing would be a broad world-layout and a gist of how which place should feel like and stuff
Sorunome

Postby Xenospark » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:38 pm

Hey, I'm looking for a project to join. I realize the last post on this one was quite a while ago, but it seems really interesting. I don't know how much I can contribute, as my schedule is always off and on for busy-ness. But if this hasn't died yet then I would really like to join!
Xenospark

Postby Sorunome » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:43 pm

This project is as alive as the people contributing are:

The issue I see with such a large-scale RPG is that some programming progress is done quickly, the main chunk is creating data, story, map etc. So that is what should be focused on most. Anybody is happy to join and help, here is the story discussion: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3438

EDIT: I think we are at the point where somebody has to stand up and actually start doing something / push other people hard to do something. Basic engine is working, tilemapper is working....a lot of stuff engine-wise is already working, but, well, content is lacking
Sorunome

Postby Xenospark » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:09 pm

Sorunome wrote:This project is as alive as the people contributing are:

The issue I see with such a large-scale RPG is that some programming progress is done quickly, the main chunk is creating data, story, map etc. So that is what should be focused on most. Anybody is happy to join and help, here is the story discussion: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3438

EDIT: I think we are at the point where somebody has to stand up and actually start doing something / push other people hard to do something. Basic engine is working, tilemapper is working....a lot of stuff engine-wise is already working, but, well, content is lacking

Well, I posted something on the story page, even though it's more like a gameplay mechanic. I was wondering how you guys felt about making a Discord channel? The forms are nice, but with Discord we could get notifications when people say something, set different sub channels for different parts of the game, share files, and all kinds of stuff (unsponsored haha). I use it a ton for group projects. Also, I recently got a copy of Ableton Live 9 Suite, which is a music production software, I could try and get a nice chiptune rolling if no one else is on that duty. Let me know about discord, I can make a channel for this if needed ^.^
Xenospark

Postby Sorunome » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:19 pm

Xenospark wrote:[...]
Well, I posted something on the story page, even though it's more like a gameplay mechanic. I was wondering how you guys felt about making a Discord channel? The forms are nice, but with Discord we could get notifications when people say something, set different sub channels for different parts of the game, share files, and all kinds of stuff (unsponsored haha). [...]

There is already #gamebuino on quakenet.
Other than that, I'm way more in favour of using riot ( https://riot.im ) than discord, because, well, discored is closed source, centralized, not encrypted etc........i wonder how these things even get popular *shakes head* >.< Anyhow, if you want to hit me up on riot: @sorunome:sorunome.de
Sorunome

Postby naed » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:50 pm

Just registered on your website, username NaeD

Add soon as I get access to the dev tools I'll get to it on some sprites creation for you
naed

Postby Sorunome » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:57 pm

done, you should have access now (you might have to log out and back in)
Sorunome

Postby naed » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:49 pm

Sorunome is it possible you could add an option to name sprites instead of them just being identified by sprite numbers

I'm finding it hard to see what some of them are already and worried it'd get harder if we start adding lots more

I'll be adding some stuff a bit later today hopefully

**EDIT**

Had a quick play around with the Dev tools and I must say I like them very much, Sorunome has put a lot of work into these tools to help the project (and make it easier for us)

did a little bit of sprite creation to test the tools

map.png
map.png (12.09 KiB) Viewed 7847 times

house.png
house.png (645 Bytes) Viewed 7845 times

really need to get the storyline in order if we have any chance of creating this project

**EDIT**

added some extra sprites -

stackable trees
a shop desk
some furniture
rocks
etc...
naed

Postby Xenospark » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:21 pm

Wow! excellent work naed, that looks pretty great. I have yet to sign up on sorunomes website, but then I can start helping this more. I'm not very creative so I don't think I could pick up the story, but if it's mandatory I can.
Xenospark

Postby Sorunome » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:45 pm

Xenospark wrote:Wow! excellent work naed, that looks pretty great. I have yet to sign up on sorunomes website, but then I can start helping this more. I'm not very creative so I don't think I could pick up the story, but if it's mandatory I can.

it's only a must if you work on tilemapping or spriting, as the tools for that are there....
Sorunome

PreviousNext

Return to Project Guidance & Game development