[community project] RPG

Advice on general approaches or feasibility and discussions about game design

Re: [community project] RPG

Postby konbick » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:19 pm

Hey Sorunome,

I registered on your website. Please grant me rights for the dev tools. Thanks :)
(My name is the name as here)
konbick

Postby Sorunome » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:35 pm

konbick wrote:Hey Sorunome,

I registered on your website. Please grant me rights for the dev tools. Thanks :)
(My name is the name as here)

Added permissions, if the new option in the navigation isn't appearing then reload the page!
Sorunome

Postby konbick » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:45 pm

Hi all, hi Sorunome,

Could you create sections for the sprites, f.e. landscape, player, npc, enemies etc? That would make it easier to keep track of verything.
Making 8x8 sprites mochrome is not so easy. I created 3 kinds of enemies, can they be recognized?

I have some further ideas about gameplay etc. I will share my ideas later tonight.

edit: should all enemies have animations? (e.g. 2 frames, or is 1 frame okay, too?). And: for most enemies they would at least have two different direction to go and therefore have at least two sprites. Should both of these directions be saved under animated in one spritesheet?

Best,
Kon
konbick

Postby Sorunome » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:12 pm

konbick wrote:Hi all, hi Sorunome,

Could you create sections for the sprites, f.e. landscape, player, npc, enemies etc? That would make it easier to keep track of verything.
Such differentiation already exists internally, as soon as you enter the tilemapper you will see that. I should (and will soon) add a way to create those categories / put sprites in them
Making 8x8 sprites mochrome is not so easy. I created 3 kinds of enemies, can they be recognized?
Enemies work differently, see below
I have some further ideas about gameplay etc. I will share my ideas later tonight.
I'm looking forward to them!
edit: should all enemies have animations? (e.g. 2 frames, or is 1 frame okay, too?). And: for most enemies they would at least have two different direction to go and therefore have at least two sprites. Should both of these directions be saved under animated in one spritesheet?

Best,
Kon
I think 1-frame for enemies wouldn't look too good as it'll look so static then. However, enemies itself already work differently:
The sprites in the dev tool are only those used in tilemaps, the other ones work differently, e.g. enemies have transparency, too. As such i guess it'd be possible to make a few larger enemies, but keep in mind that those also need to find space on the map! (Bosses would probably be larger, for example)
For enemies we don't only need sprites, but ideas on how they should interact with the enviroment, maybe pseudocode or even real code for that!

As for sprites.....feel free to add them to the spritesheet anyways, as the buildscript only includes the sprites which are in use on the tilemaps :3
Sorunome

Postby Quirby64 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:56 am

>suddenly, an update to the .ftm appears
It's an update to the one I put on the end of the last page. Now with SFX! :)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vgm2zouhamup0 ... G.ftm?dl=0
Quirby64

Postby Sorunome » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:10 pm

Quirby64 wrote:Ah, I forgot about the note limit. Fear not though, Famitracker saves the day! :mrgreen:
AKA I can transpose the songs up the right amount of notes, which is what I did to the new .ftm file :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vgm2zouhamup0 ... G.ftm?dl=0
There's also 2 new songs in there! :)
On a side note, how would I do the square C-5 and F-5 Percussion in data? I'd like to help make data for the other songs to make it easier for you, but that's my only problem I'd have doing it... :?

I made a little vid for you showing how to create track data: https://youtu.be/NiMraC1kPE8
I did not end up converting that song (due to no time then), I'd be happy if you could do it :3
Sorunome

Postby konbick » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:21 pm

Hi all,

updates on the enemy code:

konbick

Postby Sorunome » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:52 pm

this is looking awesome!

Maybe i should write helper functions for line of sight where it also detects if there's like a tree in between, or do you already handle that?
Sorunome

Postby albertinjo » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:12 am

When I press "active topics" every now and then this thread pops out. You guys have been developing this for quite some time now.... and I must say, well done!
I can see you are putting some serious effort in this.
Congratulations and keep up the good work!
I am even thinking of helping with the development... I'm in a rush now, but I'll report back in a week.
albertinjo

Postby superfreaky » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:31 am

Speaking about delivering, it's about time I delivered the storyline. Look for it in the next few days, Sorunome! I'm not sure whether to PM you or just post so anyone involved can see.
superfreaky

PreviousNext

Return to Project Guidance & Game development