[community project] RPG

Advice on general approaches or feasibility and discussions about game design

[community project] RPG

Postby Sorunome » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:16 pm

Community RPG (The Legend of the Blade: Odnipar's Prophecy ?)
--> Story Thread

If you are a developer for this, please turn on email notifications for this topic to stay up-to-date!

This is some RPG developed by the gamebuino community itself! Such a project is waaaaaay too big for somebody alone to tackle it, so it's important to split up tasks.

Note: this list is heavly out-dated, currently other people are working on different stuff.....I need to update it eventually

Currently needed
  • Artists - for sprites
  • Designers - for tilemaps
  • Programmers - for enemies and other stuff?
  • Sound creators
  • we need YOU! Just post how you wanne help ^.^

The code
You can find the repository the code over on github right here. Compiling this requires my custon GB_Fat library and a customized version of the gamebuino library.
The map and sprite data is created over the dev tool, more about that below.

Limitations
Of cource crazy optimizations come with some limitations.
Sprites
While the total number of sprites is almost unlimited, there is a limit as to how many different sprites can be on a tilemap at once. This limit is set by 32 sprite "slots", where a non-animated tile occupies one slot and an animated one two. Don't worry about this too much, the dev tool won't allow you to go over that limit.
Sound
There can be 256 different sound tracks, each of which can be up to 1024 bytes in size. You have two tracks available. The first 40 bytes are reserved for the first pattern set (20 commands), the second 40 bytes for the second one (also 20 commands). The remaining 944 bytes can be used for the patterns. Both pattern sets use the underlying same pattern. The pattern sets need to include an offset to the pointer, 29568 + 40 + 40. The two 40's are because of the pattern set, the 29568 is because of where the data will be flashed to. You can see some basic stuff on this in create_data.py in the repo.

Getting access to the dev tool
Once you actually show interest in helpign this project etc. you will need to make an account on my website ( https://sorunome.de ), tell me your username there and then I can give you access to the dev tool. Link for that will appear in the navigation menu.

Demos!
Who doesn't like demos of a game?

Tilemap loading off of SD card, switching tilemaps:

Collision detection, basic enemy code:

As already mentioned here I'd be more than willing / happy to develop some RPG thing with somebody else, or multiple others. The keypoint here is with other people. I'd love to write at least some engine stuff, and i'm not good with map / sprite design at all.
As for what type of RPG, I thought an action-like one would be better than a turn-based one, that also allows less enemy leveling and a way more non-linear story.
I'd also love to see how far we can push the gamebuino with this......so yeah, who'd be interested?
Last edited by Sorunome on Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:57 am, edited 11 times in total.
Sorunome

Re: [community project] RPG

Postby superfreaky » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:25 pm

I can come up with a storyline, but it won't be much, just a basic quest and lots of side quests. Should I just post the storyline here?
superfreaky

Postby deeph » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:26 pm

I'm in :)

Ok for an A-RPG.

I think we should make some mock up before coding. We could maybe use some of the sprites from this project, if the author is ok.
deeph

Postby superfreaky » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:42 pm

So, no story writing yet, but the basic idea is that the game's world is under the control of a ruthless leader, who has gained and maintained authority through the power of his blade, which is made primarily of dark energy. His reign has lasted hundreds of years through the life-sustaining power of the energy in the blade. There was an old prophecy put forth by a dying wizard about the time of the throne ascension about another blade which was made of light energy, which would be the only weapon powerful enough to defeat the evil overlord. The light energy blade will only be wielded by the greatest of warriors. The prophecy is about to come true...

So, this is where the protagonist comes in (name not yet determined). He/she will need to complete lots of side quests to access the sword, ranging from "find my missing ring and I'll help you with your quest" to "defeat this MushrooMan (character created on the spot) and free the village." At the end of the game, you find the sword hidden in a random (generated each playthrough) place, paving the way for a sequel where you fulfill more quests to reach the overlord and defeat him.

How does it sound?
superfreaky

Postby Sorunome » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:50 pm

deeph wrote:I'm in :)

Ok for an A-RPG.

I think we should make some mock up before coding. We could maybe use some of the sprites from this project, if the author is ok.

Yes, mockups would be a good idea. However, I am already playing around with some basic stuff to get as much out of it as possible, right now i'm working on background music in as-few-flash-as-possible with exchangable song files.
If someone is good at composing and wanted to help, that would be awesome! (ofc there are some limitations, I don't know those exactly yet as it's not done yet, but i'm thinking about reserving ~1kb for soundfiles, that is flash-wise 1kb, ram-wise it is quite fewer)

superfreaky wrote:So, no story writing yet, but the basic idea is that the game's world is under the control of a ruthless leader, who has gained and maintained authority through the power of his blade, which is made primarily of dark energy. His reign has lasted hundreds of years through the life-sustaining power of the energy in the blade. There was an old prophecy put forth by a dying wizard about the time of the throne ascension about another blade which was made of light energy, which would be the only weapon powerful enough to defeat the evil overlord. The light energy blade will only be wielded by the greatest of warriors. The prophecy is about to come true...

So, this is where the protagonist comes in (name not yet determined). He/she will need to complete lots of side quests to access the sword, ranging from "find my missing ring and I'll help you with your quest" to "defeat this MushrooMan (character created on the spot) and free the village." At the end of the game, you find the sword hidden in a random (generated each playthrough) place, paving the way for a sequel where you fulfill more quests to reach the overlord and defeat him.

How does it sound?

Sounds like a quite general RPG thingy, maybe add some weird twist somewhere? Also, parallel worlds allow for nice puzzles ^.^
Sorunome

Postby deeph » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:59 pm

Nice :)

So do you already have any sprite ? A-RPG ones are hard to make, especially in 8*8 pixels... However I've seen interesting stuff on the omnimaga mock up thread.
deeph

Postby superfreaky » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:14 pm

Sounds like a quite general RPG thingy, maybe add some weird twist somewhere? Also, parallel worlds allow for nice puzzles ^.^

When the protagonist finds the sword, the power corrupts him, and he attempts to take over the kingdom for himself. When he faces off against the overlord, he is defeated and warped to a parallel world as an exile, losing his sword in the process. He then then comes to his senses and must attempt to find a portal back to his own world. The game then takes on a much more puzzle based turn, where you need to cross-warp between worlds with the numerous portals you find after the first (similar to "lights out" but with more additional puzzle mechanics), eventually making it back home to desperately attempt to defeat the overlord with no powerful blade of his own. The goal is to use his own power against him.
[EDIT] He also encounters friends who can help him, during all the world-jumping.
PS: The parallel world could also simply be a "phase change" from black and white to white and black, making different areas accessible than before.
superfreaky

Postby Sorunome » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:09 pm

superfreaky wrote:

When the protagonist finds the sword, the power corrupts him, and he attempts to take over the kingdom for himself. When he faces off against the overlord, he is defeated and warped to a parallel world as an exile, losing his sword in the process. He then then comes to his senses and must attempt to find a portal back to his own world. The game then takes on a much more puzzle based turn, where you need to cross-warp between worlds with the numerous portals you find after the first (similar to "lights out" but with more additional puzzle mechanics), eventually making it back home to desperately attempt to defeat the overlord with no powerful blade of his own. The goal is to use his own power against him.
[EDIT] He also encounters friends who can help him, during all the world-jumping.
PS: The parallel world could also simply be a "phase change" from black and white to white and black, making different areas accessible than before.
I love that black/white idea!

Also, added to the demo for tilemap loading now dynamic flashing of sound data off of the sd card (damn, that is so fast, it's done in the blink of the eye).
PROGMEM usage: 14162 bytes of 29568. Yes, that's right, that's 1024 fewer as I use the last 1024 bytes as sound buffer
RAM usage: 928 bytes of global variables

Sound features: two channels, 40 bytes per channel for the pattern sets, the pattern will start at 80, the pointers for the pattern must include the 29568 + 40 + 40 byte offset! I took the background music of 101starship and converted it to this file format to test, it takes up 746 bytes on the sd card and is ~26 seconds long, so I think that this will allow for pretty decent background music :D
Sorunome

Postby superfreaky » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:24 am

Also, added to the demo for tilemap loading now dynamic flashing of sound data off of the sd card (damn, that is so fast, it's done in the blink of the eye)

Are you using the sd card that came with your Gamebuino? Or are you using a larger size, faster one?

As for the black/white idea, it's not original [https://games.yahoo.com/game/shift-flash.html] but it's been floating around in my head for a while. I was inspired by the fact that black and white are the only colors available anyway, why not make a game utilizing that concept? Also, give me your honest opinion of the storyline. I can always start with a blank slate, new original ideas, but I thought I would start with a rather generic RPG story.
superfreaky

Postby deeph » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:30 am

Can you upload your code ? Or we should maybe make a repo.
deeph

Next

Return to Project Guidance & Game development