[community project] RPG

Advice on general approaches or feasibility and discussions about game design

Re: [community project] RPG

Postby Sorunome » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:27 am

albertinjo wrote:When I press "active topics" every now and then this thread pops out. You guys have been developing this for quite some time now.... and I must say, well done!
I can see you are putting some serious effort in this.
Congratulations and keep up the good work!
I am even thinking of helping with the development... I'm in a rush now, but I'll report back in a week.

I'm also positively surprised by the amount of contribution this is getting lately, feel free to help out! :D
superfreaky wrote:Speaking about delivering, it's about time I delivered the storyline. Look for it in the next few days, Sorunome! I'm not sure whether to PM you or just post so anyone involved can see.

Maybe keeping it secret would be better to keep the story more of a surprise, what do you guys think? If we do that I'd need to know how wants to do story editing, as, well, a story with more reviews etc is generally-speaking a better story ;)
Sorunome

Postby konbick » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:11 am

Here are some further thoughts that I am partly having for a while now:

I'd like to see some features in the game that I know from other rpgs I have played in my life to be quite interesting.

1) I would like to see some little chest or similar in the game that give random loot. And it should really be random and therefore hard to get something good out of the chests. So what do I mean with "something good"? I have this idea of getting an item (with a very low chance) that influences the character and therefore the story line. This game should not be just playable linear but depending on these "something good" you should be able to go different ways and routes that wouldn't have possible otherwise. These "something good"(s) f.e. could be jewels that give a certain ability to the player (flying, swimming, to be invisible for a short time, etc).
Summarizing: I imagine for the game to offer a few possible ways to complete it with most of the ways requiring certain abilities won through rare loot from chests or similar.

2) As for the story: I would need to know what enemies are needed. Right now the player carries a sword and thats why I have these roguelike enemies in my head (sword&sorceress) that fight wird sword and arrows (and finally some fine blades :D)
Other than that I am fine for keeping the story a secret for now. But also Sorunome is right, we might need second opinions on that and some refinement.

3) @Sorunome I am not handling the event of a tree being between the player and enemy as of now. But I have ideas how to manage that. I will get back to you when I need your help ;)
konbick

Postby Quirby64 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:51 am

Yo ok, I didn't do the Story track because I'm not sure if I'd do it right, but I did do a shorter track, the Boss Prelude :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5yjlvnfa17oir ... o.txt?dl=0
2 more things :
-The video did help, but how would I do pitch shifts (if possible) to make the square percussion / drums of the Famitracker versions?
-Could you remove the Regular Battle / Dungeon code from the current GitHub thing (if it's there?), I realized I screwed up putting it in the tracker, having everything one octave above does not sound good in Famitracker. I'll try doing that again tomorrow.
Quirby64

Postby superfreaky » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:38 am

konbick wrote:Here are some further thoughts that I am partly having for a while now:

I'd like to see some features in the game that I know from other rpgs I have played in my life to be quite interesting.

1) I would like to see some little chest or similar in the game that give random loot. And it should really be random and therefore hard to get something good out of the chests. So what do I mean with "something good"? I have this idea of getting an item (with a very low chance) that influences the character and therefore the story line. This game should not be just playable linear but depending on these "something good" you should be able to go different ways and routes that wouldn't have possible otherwise. These "something good"(s) f.e. could be jewels that give a certain ability to the player (flying, swimming, to be invisible for a short time, etc).
Summarizing: I imagine for the game to offer a few possible ways to complete it with most of the ways requiring certain abilities won through rare loot from chests or similar.

2) As for the story: I would need to know what enemies are needed. Right now the player carries a sword and thats why I have these roguelike enemies in my head (sword&sorceress) that fight wird sword and arrows (and finally some fine blades :D)
Other than that I am fine for keeping the story a secret for now. But also Sorunome is right, we might need second opinions on that and some refinement.

3) @Sorunome I am not handling the event of a tree being between the player and enemy as of now. But I have ideas how to manage that. I will get back to you when I need your help ;)

(1) I hear you. I like the idea of a few hidden powerups throughout the game, but not just as powerups for battle. See, the concept of the game that I have is that you do favors for people, they give you items you can combine for a new gadget you need to complete the level, or collect another, more important favor. Which would give you a permanent gadget you can use as a weapon, or reach previously unreachable places. So, a powerup could get you to normally impossible to reach areas in the game where you have one shot to win some game-changing alternate weapon in a minigame. (Like in SMB3 but for weapons)

(2) Although I originally had a very generic fantasy going on before, things have changed a lot since then, and the game no longer takes place in the past, with ancient mysticness and all that. It is in the present, in a parallel universe, with superior technology. You are fighting evil construction workers in an enormous park, with enough space for small towns. So yeah, they have... construction tools as weapons, you know? The bosses will, until the final one, be workers in large construction machines. Protagonist still carries a sword, but it's more of a chunk of sharp metal he picked up at the beginning of the game (Gets upgraded over time of course). So sorry, not mystic and all that, throwing magic balls and stuff at you, but people with nail guns and, well... I dunno. You can decide what the enemies are like, maybe have different classes of enemies, like Cyber Ninjas they hired or something.

*SPOILER ALERT!* Don't read this section if you don't want story spoiled! No looking!
Ok, still here? Well, it's about a guy who's trying to save his girlfriend who is being held hostage by the evil boss, because you won't sell your park house to him to be cleared for an A-Park-Ment complex. He wants, to reiterate, to have the house property, and since you won't sell he's using your girlfriend as leverage. Your job is to save her. Anyway, more story will be PM'd to the appropriate people soon. (Warning, I may end up flaking for another month. I am a major procrastinator) Ok, I'm done now. *END SPOILER*

Nevermind, one more thing. I want there to be like 3 items collected in favors for each device you can create (You lose most of the common devices in the end, but sidequests give you health perks armor, or better swords and stuff, you can pick up in chests after helping people. That, or minigames in which you might win something.) But I want enough favors total in each level that you have to guess which favor items combine for what things. To add a layer of difficulty to finishing the game, so you can't just speedrun the game like nothing. I don't want it that linear. Just so everyone is on the same page.
superfreaky

Postby Sorunome » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:14 am

Quirby64 wrote:Yo ok, I didn't do the Story track because I'm not sure if I'd do it right, but I did do a shorter track, the Boss Prelude :
2 more things :
-The video did help, but how would I do pitch shifts (if possible) to make the square percussion / drums of the Famitracker versions?
You can't pitch-shift, to save ram I removed that code from the library. However, the pitch-shift was literetally only about making every note only one higher/lower, so you might as well do that manually while putting the notes into the tracker.
Same goes for pitch and volume slide, you can just make your notes having a length of 1 and manually slide the pitch/volume with the command things.
-Could you remove the Regular Battle / Dungeon code from the current GitHub thing (if it's there?), I realized I screwed up putting it in the tracker, having everything one octave above does not sound good in Famitracker. I'll try doing that again tomorrow.

You mean in create_data.py? Consider it done!
Sorunome

Postby Sorunome » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:07 am

superfreaky wrote:[...] Although I originally had a very generic fantasy going on before, things have changed a lot since then, and the game no longer takes place in the past, with ancient mysticness and all that. It is in the present, in a parallel universe, with superior technology.
[...]

Aaaawe, i really like the past-theme a lot, oh well :P
Sorunome

Postby superfreaky » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:25 pm

Hmm... I'll see what I can do.
superfreaky

Postby Sorunome » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:47 pm

superfreaky wrote:Hmm... I'll see what I can do.

Nah, you don't have to :P
Sorunome

Postby superfreaky » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:26 am

Well, I just didn't think it sounded very good. I just like input to make sure people think it doesn't sound lame.
superfreaky

Postby Quirby64 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:44 pm

Sorunome wrote:
Quirby64 wrote:Yo ok, I didn't do the Story track because I'm not sure if I'd do it right, but I did do a shorter track, the Boss Prelude :
2 more things :
You can't pitch-shift, to save ram I removed that code from the library. However, the pitch-shift was literetally only about making every note only one higher/lower, so you might as well do that manually while putting the notes into the tracker.
Same goes for pitch and volume slide, you can just make your notes having a length of 1 and manually slide the pitch/volume with the command things.

You mean in create_data.py? Consider it done!

I tried editing the quote but i'm 2lazy, sorry. Also, thanks for removing that dungeon code, I'll get to work on creating the new data soon.
With the pitch slides, that's was I was actually referring to. Just mixed it up >.> However, I tried several variations of the square percussion using length-1 note shifts, and it sounds close to the original. However, wouldn't this make the songs take up way more data? Think of it this way - I could have note slides available to make square percussion, and only use one note of code (like the 0x0000 stuff). If I had to manually put down 4 length 1 notes to make one percussion sound, that would take up 4 times as much data. The boss battle track, for reference, has 127 square percussion notes. 127 x 4 = 508 = 4 times as much data.
tl:dr add note slides back, they would theoretically save more data
Quirby64

PreviousNext

Return to Project Guidance & Game development