Zelda port community project

Advice on general approaches or feasibility and discussions about game design

Zelda port community project

Postby Duhjoker » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:07 am

I'm thinking about buying one of these tiny lil guys if they are available now and I already have an idea for a port.

Any way I need a project and I was thinking a port of the legend of Zelda(OG) would be awesome for this hardware. Of course it won't be called by its brand name and some things will have to change.

Would anybody happen to be working on a port like this? I would love to calaborate.

Also wondering if there is some kinda GUI not arduino that can used to design maps and such without porting it to the Gamebuino first.
Last edited by Duhjoker on Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duhjoker

Re: Zelda port?

Postby Duhjoker » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:20 am

I'be been looking around and reading tutorials and I need a couple clarifications.

Is a Sprite limited 8X8? Can this 8x8 square have different shades?

And the actual bit map you add the sprites to are 32x32?
Duhjoker

Postby Sorunome » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:16 am

Sprites can be any size you want, the screen itself can only do black and white.

However, a zelda port would be extremely complex due to the ram limitations and how few program memory you have, if you want to go that route, keep in mind that it is long and complex, perhaps even impossible! (Links Awakening was on the Gameboy, which, in itself, already had 4x the amount of ram as the gamebuino while the cartridges could also expand ram)
Sorunome

Postby Duhjoker » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:17 pm

I didn't mean actual color that's my fault. What I meant was can you use the grey scale rendering to create sprites. How do you know what ascii code renders what shade?

You got me curious about the amount of space a game like this would take up so I got on my computer and checked my LOZ rom I use to play on my raspberry Pi. Looks like it would only take about 129kb.

Gonna try and crack the file shortly and see if I can look at the code. I tried notebook but I knew that wouldn't fly.
Duhjoker

Postby Sorunome » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:30 pm

Duhjoker wrote:I didn't mean actual color that's my fault. What I meant was can you use the grey scale rendering to create sprites. How do you know what ascii code renders what shade?
Yeah, I meant that the gray rendering is actually quickly turning pixels black and white, thus making them seem gray, while in fact, they aren't. here and here are references on how to do color and sprites
You got me curious about the amount of space a game like this would take up so I got on my computer and checked my LOZ rom I use to play on my raspberry Pi. Looks like it would only take about 129kb.

Gonna try and crack the file shortly and see if I can look at the code. I tried notebook but I knew that wouldn't fly.

The old zelda games are probably written in assembler, meaning that they are exactly that what you see them as - a huge blob of binary data

If you are new to programming, I'd suggest you to try a smaller and simpler project first, though ;)
Sorunome

Postby Duhjoker » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:48 pm

I guess i can try to make a couple rooms to start out with and try it that way to get my baring.

Ive been using arduino for a while and have the basics learned. Ive also compiled in C++. Plus theres a forum full of knowledgeable people if i get stuck.

I did find an assembler on a site dedicated to making your own NES games. i wonder if that would crack it?
Duhjoker

Postby Duhjoker » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:24 pm

If i try this i think starting small and then working my way out would be best. Start with building a room and getting the character to interact with it then add another room and another and so on.

Of course ill share my work as i go too. And like i said i would love to collaborate with some folks.

More questions,

Making the bitmap seems easy enough after watching a video or two what i would really like to start with is learning how to program your character sprite including moving it on the map, combining the character sprites, and interacting with map sprites.

Any body have a .... Link ..... to that kind of information?

What about a working title called myth of esmerelda?
Duhjoker

Postby Duhjoker » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:33 am

I'm having problems installing g the libraries. The wiki page said to simply put the libraries folder in my arduino libraries folder but that didn't work. I had put the contents of the libraries file in the libraries folder.

I tried the same thing with the hardware contents but I can't get a Gamebuino choice under boards in arduino.

Also what do I do with the .gits and the hex folder?
Duhjoker

Postby Duhjoker » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:30 pm

I'm starting to progress and learn how to do all this and I wanted to ask for some oppinions or ideas in making this a port born for the Gamebuino. I want to keep the same elements that make it so fun and challenging but let's change some stuff so it's all Gamebuino!

Ok first I changed the name to Myth of Esmerelda and the player character I named Sever. I was thinking we could make the princess the Last boss like she went crazy and destroyed the land opening a portal for monsters to invade the land. And your job is to collect what ever (instead of the tri-force) to gain the power to defeat the evil princess and free the Good Wizard (needs name) who will put the world back to its natural order.

This is a community project. So every one gets thier credit in the END crawl!!!

Thanks to Sorunome and Naed for the patience and all the wonderful help in teaching me to how to get this done. You guys Rock!!!!

What do you think of these monster names?

Stalphos=======shaftos
Tectitite=======tactile
Ghini==========goonie
Zol============Zula

I think we should change the monsters completely so if anyone has any pixel art they would like to contribute please make sure they are 6x6 and can be clear, black and grey.
Duhjoker

Return to Project Guidance & Game development