Switch to full style
Advice on general approaches or feasibility and discussions about game design
Post a reply

Adventure Demo (updated 03/01/17)

Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:20 am

Done some more work on my Adventure and here is my first official demo

New Video added of progress - couldn't do a GIF as it has to be ran on actual hardware to get everything to work
Please excuse the fact that i teleport to the middle of another village when asked to play the computer within the game - this is simply to test and show how things are progressing

------------------------------------------------
Controls:
up/down/left/right - move character
A and direction - interact
B - nothing
C - open inventory
------------------------------------------------

All feedback appreciated

please find attache the HEX file for your convenience

NaeDs_Adventure_Beta_V0.01.ino.zip
(25.33 KiB) Downloaded 398 times
Last edited by naed on Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:43 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Re: Adventure Demo

Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:35 am

This is a great looking demo! The graphics are really nice and it's cool to explore the world. I also like the use of popup messages when you interact with things. The little quest is cool, although I'm guessing it's still a work in progress since I can't give the key to the boy at the start.

A few comments:
-It's a little hard to get through the room transition areas, as they're really narrow. I actually like how some of the ways to get from one room to another don't feel completely obvious at first (since they kind of look like a little alcove in the room, if that makes sense), but sometimes it's easy to get stuck on invisible edges.
-I like the inventory screen, but I think you should make it scroll faster. I personally think animations like that are great when they feel snappy, but can get tiring if they get in the way of gameplay.
-If I spam the A button while trying to walk into the boy, my character can get stuck inside his collision box.
-It seems like I need to press A while holding a direction in order to interact with things instead of just being adjacent and facing them. It would feel smoother if I didn't have to be moving towards the thing in order to interact with it.

I think the Gamebuino needs a lot more RPG-style games, and this one is looking promising. I hope you keep adding stuff!

Re: Adventure Demo

Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:02 pm

wuuff wrote:This is a great looking demo! The graphics are really nice and it's cool to explore the world. I also like the use of popup messages when you interact with things. The little quest is cool, although I'm guessing it's still a work in progress since I can't give the key to the boy at the start.

A few comments:
-It's a little hard to get through the room transition areas, as they're really narrow. I actually like how some of the ways to get from one room to another don't feel completely obvious at first (since they kind of look like a little alcove in the room, if that makes sense), but sometimes it's easy to get stuck on invisible edges.
-I like the inventory screen, but I think you should make it scroll faster. I personally think animations like that are great when they feel snappy, but can get tiring if they get in the way of gameplay.
-If I spam the A button while trying to walk into the boy, my character can get stuck inside his collision box.
-It seems like I need to press A while holding a direction in order to interact with things instead of just being adjacent and facing them. It would feel smoother if I didn't have to be moving towards the thing in order to interact with it.

I think the Gamebuino needs a lot more RPG-style games, and this one is looking promising. I hope you keep adding stuff!

Thanks for the feedback - the game is still in demo mode and was really to show what I had achieved with the gamebuino... I'm looking at creating a fully playable game (memory dependant) and some of the things you mentioned will be available in the full version

- I can increase the size of the exits, because I'm used to it it's not something I really had trouble with but can see now how difficult it can be to hit those exits exactly with the character
- upon testing I also thought the inventory screen seemed a bit laggy against the rest of the game, this is something I can fix quite easily and should be implemented shortly ***FIXED***
- haha I also found the boy glitch this morning, again this should be a quick fix for me to implement ***FIXED***
- I tried to fix the controls (having to push against an object whilst pressing A) and got a little stuck in how to implement a fix (it's something to do with the collision detection I am using), it is something that is on my to do list though so hopefully I should be able to fix this soon
- the game also feels a bit empty without any sound and this is also on my to do list

Again thanks for the feedback - I've only had my gamebuino around 3 months and had no coding knowledge at all, so this is a big achievement for me

Re: Adventure Demo (updated 27/10)

Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:01 pm

new file uploaded for your testing pleasure

only issue now is that due to my really poor coding skills I've hit 100% of the memory I have available :(

can anyone help teach me how to optimise my code? or point me in the right direction for help? I know a project like this takes up a lot of memory but being able to refine my code (and save a bit of memory) may help me with a few ideas I have going forward with this project...?

Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:31 pm

Quick tip, any data that is not constantly needed, eg title screen image or similar things could be kept as files on the sd card, saving flash space.

Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:36 pm

Awesome Spinal, that's just the kind of help I'm looking for...

That's my next task then :D

Any other top tips appreciated

EDIT:

Any idea how I would go about losing bitmaps from sd card?

I found this but there's not much info on it viewtopic.php?f=12&t=787&hilit=read+from+sd&start=10#p10556

Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:08 pm

Well, I'm quite interesed by Naed's question answer as well...

I tried to ' clean' the code provided by mougino for my own project, but this simple part of code (loading bitmap from sd card) is consuming something like 50% of available memory...
That's too much for my project...

Any way to reduce this?

Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:38 pm

Could we not use something like a modified version ofthe INF encoder to store bitmaps and load them the same way the loader does?

Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:52 pm

I do something like this in my fork of copter strike (by frakass).
https://github.com/Clement83/CopterStri ... erMenu.ino

But I haven't get a stable version....

The menu is copy/past of code of the loader, just updated for load only mission of copter strike.

You can see also the lunar lander of myndal/erico :
https://github.com/Myndale/LunarRun

He stream the bitmap from SD directly in the screen buffer. And save lot of RAM !

Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:18 pm

Thank you for the example, I'll take a look at this as soon as I get some spare time
Post a reply