Adventure Demo (updated 03/01/17)

Advice on general approaches or feasibility and discussions about game design

Re: Adventure Demo (updated 27/10)

Postby wuuff » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:28 pm

I just tried your updated version, and I like the changes you made. The inventory screen moves pretty fast now, and I didn't get stuck going between areas. I also noticed you made a small change with the "locked house" quest. Can I do anything with the second key in this version? Or the socks?

I'm working on a project now where I plan to swap out tilesets from the SD card between levels. If I ever get that working, I'll try to post what I learned in the process if it is helpful.
wuuff

Re: Adventure Demo (updated 27/10)

Postby naed » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:45 pm

For now the socks and other key was just to test the inventory system I have made, the item you pick up should go in the first free slot from the left - although adding a function to the second key and socks would take just a couple of lines of code

I have a great idea for a game and am working slowly towards impingement this storyline into a working game... But making sprites is time consuming and to be honest I stuck at it lol

I've managed to come up with a clever way to get around the memory limitations we have with the gamebuino and it fits in cleverly with the storyline I have

So overall progress is being made I might update this thread very soon with my latest demo as to get feedback but there's a few tweaks to be made first

Next on my list is the following

- load sprites from SD card
- impliment a save game option
- look at adding some options to my inventory screen
- sprites sprites sprites
naed

Re: Adventure Demo (updated 25/11)

Postby naed » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:56 pm

small update - see first post for video

I've managed to get my save files working for my game

managed to get load_game function implimented - this allows me to overcome the memory limitations by loading a whole new map with the load_game("MYGAME") function (not the best but a workaround at least)

saves also carry across to the newly loaded map via save game

I'll upload the HEX files ASAP - enjoy
naed

Re: Adventure Demo (updated 25/11)

Postby naed » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:03 am

Been a little busy just lately but managed to get some time tonight to create a new set of maps that will feature in the final game

I've also written a storyline/storyboard for the game, with what I think it's a pretty cool concept that fits in well with how I'm having to program this game to overcome the memory limitations

Will hopefully get some screenshots here soon and maybe a demo so you can see progress...
naed

Re: Adventure Demo (updated 5/12)

Postby albertinjo » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:28 pm

Sounds great. Keep us updated!
albertinjo

Re: Adventure Demo (updated 20/12)

Postby naed » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:33 pm

Just a quick update...

My time has been spent creating sprites and dealing with real life stuff just lately so not much actual programming progress made... My storyline is done and I have a screenplay made up for the game it's just finding time to actually put everything together now (and I've got one other tricky task to do, but more on that later)

So nothing major to tell everyone, just that I've not forgotten this project and it is still being worked on, I don't have a release date unfortunately but will drop the odd demo update for you guys to play with...
naed

Re: Adventure Demo (updated 20/12)

Postby naed » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:05 am

ok so no major updates to report...

I got a little bit sidetracked trying to make my coding a little easier - and thus it led me on another project which helps me automate most of my coding (or at least stops me writing the same stuff several times over)

coder.jpg
coder.jpg (74.51 KiB) Viewed 4642 times

I may or may not release this little program, as it is only specific to my adventure it wouldn't be of much help to anyone really...

so the update is that I should be back on track to start coding and get this damn game released sometime soon I hope

***EDIT***

I added a new HEX file on the first post for you all to look at if you wanted to

the demo has no storyline or use at all apart from testing a few new things, it loops you back to the main house, using the computer twice breaks the game (it won't later tho)... its pretty much useless - but it does show some of the things i'm working on

you wouldn't believe how long it took to get the stairs working - my inventory system is fully functional (although there is only one item on this demo) - the sprites are coming along nicely (but slowly) - I have a great storyline that is original but it's hard work to get all the dialogue done

I do promise I have not forgotten about this game and it is coming (hopefully soon)

for my first major game I think i jumped in rather deep :lol: :lol: :lol:
naed

Previous

Return to Project Guidance & Game development