Lands of Lore

Advice on general approaches or feasibility and discussions about game design

Lands of Lore

Postby leiradel » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:44 pm

Hi All,

I've just ordered my Gamebuino, and I've been thinking about what will be my first project with it.

I'm playing The Warlock of Firetop Mountain with my kids, and I've been nurturing the idea of making a Gamebuino version with a gameplay similar to Lands of Lore.

I want to let the player to freely wander around the cavern, but the map would follow the book as closely as possible, and monster encounters would play out just like the battle system described in the book.

I'll probably implement an engine that will read the game as data, and some kind of build system to let anyone write similar games for the engine. Any useful advice?

Cheers,

Andre
leiradel

Re: Lands of Lore

Postby naed » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:22 am

Sounds impressive!!

I'll keep my eye on this project, will be interesting to see how you get on with this... Especially with the memory limitations on the Gamebuino

Good luck
naed

Postby leiradel » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:13 pm

I've started programming with a 2KB ZX81, so maybe I can think of something :)
leiradel

Postby leiradel » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:30 am

I've just got my Gamebuino 8-)

My main objective with it is to teach my kids to write code, so I'll change this project so it's easier for them to understand what's going on.

I'll just have an electronic version of the The Warlock of Firetop Mountain book, where you are presented with the text descriptions of the locations, just like the book, and with the available choices.

Character creation, battles, inventory, and dice throws in general will be dealt with by the game, so all you'll need to enjoy the book will be a Gamebuino and the game. Savegames will also be available.

I have a coworker who owns the entire Fighting Fantasy series, and he said that this book is particularly difficult to complete. I'll probably implement some settings to change some aspects of the game, a cheat system of sorts, so one can i.e. add +2 for every dice throw during a battle.
leiradel

Postby mougino » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:44 pm

Hi leiradel,

Good luck with your project ;)

I did a similar one here:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3258

Don't peek in my code if you want to do it yourself ;)

Nicolas
mougino

Postby leiradel » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:52 pm

mougino wrote:I did a similar one here

I've been lurking the Gamebuino forums for some time and I'm aware of your project, it's awesome. But you're right, I want to do one myself.

I was thinking about a direct approach to the problem because I want to build this with my kids to start teaching them how to code, something like:

Code: Select all
4 PRINT "You find yourself in a north-south corridor. To the north the passage turns east some metres ahead."
CHOOSE A, "To investigate, turn to 46.", "To the south, the passageway also turns east. Turn to 332 to go south."
IF A = 1 THEN GOTO 46
IF A = 2 THEN GOTO 332

8 PRINT "The passage ahead ends at a sturdy door. You listen but hear nothing. You try the handle, it turns, and you enter the room. As you look around you hear a loud cry from behind you and swing round to see a wild man leaping towards you wielding a large battle axe. He is a mad BARBARIAN and you must fight him! There is a door in the north wall opposite, through which you may Escape during the battle (turn to 189). If you defeat the Barbarian, turn to 273."
' Fight the barbarian with skill 7, stamina 6, and with an escape option
M$ = "BARBARIAN" : D = 7 : S = 7 : E = 1
GOSUB 1000 ' battle result will be in A
IF A = 0 THEN GOTO 2000 ' died
IF A = 1 THEN GOTO 273 ' defeated the barbarian
IF A = 2 THEN GOTO 189 ' escaped

There is a topic about a BASIC interpreter in the forum but it seems the code is gone, but I can implement my own dialect and use it to code the adventures. In fact, that's what I'm going to start coding, a BASIC compiler and the VM for the Gamebuino.
leiradel

Postby mougino » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:59 pm

Cool !

If you want to do it on an Android phone (or tablet) I can only recommend the excellent open-source RFO BASIC!
http://rfo-basic.com

It might be easier for your kids to have an immediate result and teach them the basics of coding ;)

Whatever you choose, have fun and happy new year 2017 !

Nicolas
mougino

Postby leiradel » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:36 pm

mougino wrote:If you want to do it on an Android phone (or tablet) I can only recommend the excellent open-source RFO BASIC!
http://rfo-basic.com

It seems awesome and much more complete than what I want to achieve here.

mougino wrote:happy new year 2017 !

For you too!
leiradel

Return to Project Guidance & Game development