Advice on general approaches or feasibility and discussions about game design
Post a reply

Re: adventures in game design

Fri May 02, 2014 1:02 am

Lately, I was trying to figure out a game Karateka style for the coco II using pmode 1, a 32x16 block resolution where each CHR$ block can be split into 4 subpixels, able to single 8 colors into black background each block. So a more or less 64x32 resolution with attribute clash in black if you subpixel things without taking a bit of care.

While at that I thought why not give a go for the Gamebuino´s restrictions? Here we go.

Edit: Giving a second thought on the Gamebuino´s case, the players could be bigger... ;)
Attachments
BUINOTEKA.png
BUINOTEKA.png (1.43 KiB) Viewed 5744 times

Fri May 02, 2014 1:32 am

It depends on how high you want to make them jump. If you go for Street Fighter style high jumps, the size is just perfect. Great job!

Fri May 02, 2014 1:49 am

Thanks.
I always thought to tell Jordan Mechner exactly that! :D :lol:
Now I feel old :(

Karatekas don´t jump, hence the reason for bigger sprites maybe.
Could look better and more precise on the Gamebuino´s small screen.

Don´t let the age fool you, it is a very complex fighter. ;)

Fri May 02, 2014 10:25 am

It doesn't have to be the exact same game. ;)

Fri May 02, 2014 1:28 pm

For sure.
I was trying to go for a half black background behind the players so to get by with the smaller sprites and that I would only have to fake scroll on the top part of the wall.

If they were to jump I guess the composition would have to be different and the players too.
It is really tough to fit visuals on the 84x48, but I like the challenge.

Doubt I would be able to code such a complex game in C right away...

Fri May 02, 2014 2:57 pm

Don't forget that bigger sprites use more memory. If you use smaller sprites, you can have more frames of animations. So either smoother animations or more attack moves.

Fri May 02, 2014 11:39 pm

possibly more frames would be cools, could also load a newer set of gfx when changing levels, I mean load from disk, as it seems to be possible.

The actual trick in that design is to get the lower part on ground with a black outline while having none on the upper part. It is a way to deal with the max 3 shades and have a more or less rich image.

I will add here the original COCO II mode 1 in CHR$ for comparison, though the mode 1 has a loooooot of visual restrictions. ;) I really like drawing with CHR$ sets.
Attachments
KOKOTEKA FIX.png
KOKOTEKA FIX.png (3.49 KiB) Viewed 5698 times
Last edited by erico on Fri May 02, 2014 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 02, 2014 11:45 pm

loading images from sd would work although i haven't seen any code out here yet to show it off
the buinomon project will havely depends on sd file reads so i hope that works out

Sat May 03, 2014 1:37 am

Yep and IF graphic adventures too.
Post a reply