adventures in game design

Advice on general approaches or feasibility and discussions about game design

Re: adventures in game design

Postby adekto » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:30 am

Skyrunner65 wrote:
adekto wrote:hedge maze
Image Image
this is a little more ambitious, this actually started as a dungeon crawler but i soon realized that it would be over complicated and not wanting to have a manual bigger than the entire console i think i found a compromise in the hedge maze, i see it more of a tech demo since u can mostly walk around a maze and find the exit, although the idea of multiplayer would be cool here.

This would be fantastic in multiplayer, either as a race to get to the middle, to kill each other, or to find all the pieces to defeat a monster that is chasing you. ;)

that be prety interesting, i do want to add multiplayer but u can do watever u like with your game 8-)
i actualy got inspired by maze war wich looks so awsome, im stll not sure if i sude do 1st person or 3rd person.
sadly im curently not working on hedge maze since the image compressor isnt done yet.
alternativly i can do a 3D trace similar to akalabeth but those render very slow and arent very visual

alternativly i wish greyscale would work on gamebuino
adekto

Postby hrangan » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:43 am

I like the idea behind the gif you posted, first person with a compass on the ground. It's simple, informative, and allows for you to do away with a second menu for a compass/uncovered map. Makes the game harder and more like a real maze too.
hrangan

Postby adekto » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:07 am

just to clarefy the gif was 3rd person

if u look at it u wil see the compas is the center-point if this wasnt the case u would face right against a wall
adekto

Postby Myndale » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:18 am

IMO 1st person is better than 3rd. I really like the compass on the floor but 3rd person effectively moves the camera back by 1 space, which means the far plane (i.e. how far ahead of the player you are drawing) is also moved back 1 space. That significantly reduces the amount of information about immediate surroundings you can convey to the player, which is pretty important in dungeon/maze games where the player is relying on as many visual clues as possible to keep from becoming disoriented.
Myndale

Postby Skyrunner65 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:00 pm

adekto wrote:that be prety interesting, i do want to add multiplayer but u can do watever u like with your game 8-)
i actualy got inspired by maze war wich looks so awsome, im stll not sure if i sude do 1st person or 3rd person.
sadly im curently not working on hedge maze since the image compressor isnt done yet.
alternativly i can do a 3D trace similar to akalabeth but those render very slow and arent very visual

alternativly i wish greyscale would work on gamebuino

Why doesn't grayscale work? Also, if you make a game like Maze War, do not make the avatars eyeballs. Please.
Oh yeah, and maybe start working on the code, then work on the graphics when the compressor is done. Sound good? Because I have not even started on Python :lol:
Skyrunner65

Postby adekto » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:11 pm

any sugestions instead of the eye?
wel they way greyscale would work is by flickering the pixels on/off reasonably fast
its reasonable to do one or so but it means an image 2 layers, per sptite thats has greyscale
adekto

Postby Skyrunner65 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:20 pm

adekto wrote:any sugestions instead of the eye?
wel they way greyscale would work is by flickering the pixels on/off reasonably fast
its reasonable to do one or so but it means an image 2 layers, per sptite thats has greyscale

Why do you spell it like "Greyscale"?
Also, you could use a stickman or a ghost, I guess.
Skyrunner65

Postby adekto » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:36 pm

Skyrunner65 wrote:
adekto wrote:any sugestions instead of the eye?

Why do you spell it like "Greyscale"?
Also, you could use a stickman or a ghost, I guess.

i say grey cuz thats how i say it, i know my english is crap.
ghosts? can u be more specific?

( :lol: i know it makes no sence)
adekto

Postby rodot » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:55 pm

Grey is British, Gray is American ;)
Nice ghosts!
rodot
Site Admin

Postby Skyrunner65 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:31 pm

adekto wrote:i say grey cuz thats how i say it, i know my english is crap.
ghosts? can u be more specific?
( :lol: i know it makes no sence)

#3 or #4 looks good.
Skyrunner65

PreviousNext

Return to Project Guidance & Game development