I think that's a better idea!
Skyrunner65

Re: adventures in game design

Postby erico » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:15 pm

Nice gfx you have there!
erico

Postby SilentSpy » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:03 pm

All of these look pretty awesome. Just think, someday we could have crappy pop-station games on our Gamebuinos! Mind expanding on the hunted mansion idea a little? I'm still a little confused as to what you're trying to portray.

Edit: Words 'n stuff
SilentSpy

Postby adekto » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:32 pm

SilentSpy wrote:All of these look pretty awesome. Just think, someday we could have crappy pop-station games on our Gamebuinos! Mind expanding on the hunted mansion idea a little? I'm still a little confused as to what you're trying to portray.

Edit: Words 'n stuff

more explaining on hunted mansion? sure i based myself on haunted house for the atari 2600 the eyes of the player are very noticeable in the dark mansion, main objective is avoiding ghost and collecting artefacts, i want to add interactions with ghost, books with hints on how to beat them and items to fight them but i need a text system for that that i have not figured out yet

any idea's u wanna add or think maybe better go ahead
adekto

Postby SilentSpy » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:15 am

*Moderator edit: huge quote of the previous post removed. We can read it, it's just above!*

I have a few but I'm on my phone right now so I'll update when I can. We're you considering making it like a dungeon crawler or a platformer? It sounds interesting but I'd need to know how the game is played before I give suggestions. I appreciate you elaborating but I'm still confused. Thanks for replying though.
SilentSpy

Postby adekto » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:03 am

its top down and hints of dungeon crawling but not grid lock and also going from screen to screen instead of scrolling although im looking into scrolling for bigger rooms like a dinning room or a hallway
adekto

Postby SilentSpy » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:14 pm

I see, so it's something like a rouge-like or Dark Arms for the Neo Geo Pocket Color. Definitely sounds fun. For the notes are you using an inventory system or just having them spread across the mansion and not be able to pick them up? I think having some type of inventory with puzzles laid across the mansion would be interesting but I'm not sure if it's what you're going for. Are you looking for more straight action/horror in the vain of Resident Evil or action/puzzle like Metroid? I think either way it'll turn out well but I'd like to know before I give more suggestions. Sorry for all the questions, hope I can help out. :)
SilentSpy

Postby adekto » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:31 pm

wel ist nothing like a rough-like-like (defenition of rough is random everything and permadeath)
id discribe it more like a top down point and click in a sence if ur realy looking for a style
puzzle would be a nice idea altough again this becoms into limitations of hardware for me since i was hoping to have more screens for rooms and images for ghosts and text i will have some old school hints u have to go find outside the game
if u want a style i want horror as far as B&W can. i like to atempt the clock tower or fatal frame feeling
there wil be an inventory (that is planned)
i do like some input on ghost types ideas weakness and even story(for ghosts)

story time:
you play an archaeologist who is trying to recover ancient egyptian artifacts from the mansion.
the building is owned by a rich doctor whom recently past away by mysterious means (insert cheesy scare music)
at the same time some other people are in the building (not yet fleshed out, dinner party or something)
i want to tell more but i dont want to spoil the rest quite yet
adekto

Postby SilentSpy » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:41 pm

Well if you're looking for ghost weaknesses you could have to find some type of object to hold the ghost in. Of course every ghost would have a different "type" or "soul" making advancing without the proper items difficult especially with the fear of the undead behind you. I'm just spitballing but what if each ghost was from a different time and social structure making visuals and lore different for each part. Each ghost(s) identity/place in history could be described in text found throughout the mansion left behind by Dr. Ivan McRicherson (I know, I'm great at making names). For example one room could be filled with artists and you would have to find/create a work of art greater than theirs to put their souls at ease/trap them. Again this could be explained through tidbits of pages left behind by Dr. McRicherson. It's a little out there but I think I'll try to come up with some more, uh... Meaningful suggestions? I'm not sure how to word it but that was just something I thought of. I accidentally typed most of this out forgetting it was a mansion and though it was an Egyptian temple for some reason.
SilentSpy

Postby adekto » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:32 pm

now u make me think of just this "mind crush yugi"

also sexy egyptian pharaoh

anyway i like the artist and time idea realy can give some flavor and obvies hints since ur not giving a ghostly programer a painting (but u do give him a floppy disk)
adekto

PreviousNext

Return to Project Guidance & Game development