Switch to full style
Advice on general approaches or feasibility and discussions about game design
Post a reply

Asteroids

Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:41 am

Here's a little Asteroids mockup.

And here's the sprite-sheet for the game.

Re: Asteroids

Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:54 am

Awesome, THIS is the game I'm waiting for the most on the Gamebuino. Hackvision's done a pretty good version of this for their system, and if it's allowed, a port should be pretty straightforward.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:11 pm

I wonder, considering the fast processor, Asteroids could be done with real vectors, rotating asteroids and so on right?

Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:45 pm

The original Asteroids doesn't have rotating asteroids. They are fixed shapes.

I compared the original and a version with rotating asteroids. I have to say that the rotation is quite distracting.

Vector: In this small resolution, vector graphics wouldn't make any sense. Even the biggest asteroids are just 9 x 9 pixels and wouldn't look any better with real vector-graphics.

However, a little game system that uses a small vector screen would be something really nice. Like a mini Vectrex game console.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:11 pm

Yep, maybe vectors for asteroid is not a good idead, but I too like the vectrex idea. ;)

Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:15 pm

for the ship use the triangle command , i think its better and faster then a sprite

Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:05 pm

The triangle command (as any geometric shape other than an horizontal or vertical line) is slower (but still pretty fast) than displaying a bitmap, because it has to run an algorithm. When you display a bitmap, it just copies and past values from memory flash memory to RAM.

The advantage of using vectors is that it would allow to rotate asteroids and ship smoothly at any angle... which can be considered as distracting. I guess it's a matter of taste. But personally I think I would prefer rotating asteroids :)

Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:07 pm

I think I'm with R0d0t on this on, rotating asteroids would look better and considering the shape that both the asteroids and the ship would be I think having it made out of vectors would make it faster but of course my limited knowledge of the Gambuino might prove me wrong so don't quote me on that :p

Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:09 am

Given that the original had static asteroids, I think that's a better way to go.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:53 am

I think i code Asteroids today :ugeek: :D .
If i finish it i will post a video ;)

First step, collision detection: http://www.ecse.rpi.edu/Homepages/wrf/R ... npoly.html
Post a reply