Legend of Zelda?

Advice on general approaches or feasibility and discussions about game design

Legend of Zelda?

Postby Payday02 » Sat May 03, 2014 9:53 pm

Me and my friend have ordered a gamebuino and we have decided that we want to make a Legend of Zelda knock off because we are huge fans here is the story line so far:

Starts with Link losing and Gannon breaking the master sword kills Zelda. Then says 100 years later. Has link in future body with friend who is actually Zelda (player doesn't know. Old man who was around in the scene before tells the story. Link and friend (girl) togo to three of Gannondorf's dungeons to find the pieces of the M sword. You realize that sword wasn't powerful enough before and go to collect elements from Gannondorf's minions to improve the sword : water fire earth wind light dark. Every element adds a beam that can be shot out of the sword. Have sword reformed by elder guy and when he holds the sword and picks it up the old man says only a descendant of the hero of time can wield the M sword. Then says " so u must be Zelda then." And hand her the bow of light. Tells her the last in the Zelda line told him to keep it safe. When she touches it she gets the Zelda dress. They go to defeat Gannondorf. Once defeated he turns into dark beast Gannon. Once he's defeated teleported back in time to demise. Once demise is defeated link gets all 3 triforces and becomes fierce deity, he defeats demise and Gannon won't be resurrected because of link having the three triforces.

BY the way I copied this straight from the notes on my phone so my grammar is pitiful. Tell me if you don't understand something.
Payday02

Re: Legend of Zelda?

Postby Drakker » Sun May 04, 2014 2:38 am

While I'm not going to comment the story, you might want to look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6qI4Rs3WU0

It's a very quickly written Zelda-like game for the Hackvision, another Arduino based console with TV-out and a similar resolution to the Gamebuino. The Gamebuino can clearly do better than that, but since the resolution is similar, it could give you a good idea of what a Zelda clone would look like.
Drakker

Postby Payday02 » Sun May 04, 2014 10:51 pm

Thanks for showing that to me! I am planning to try to make it as close to the original 8-bit Zelda games as possible so it should be a little different than that. Also I hope that I can fit all of that story into no more than three parts, do you think that I could do it in one or two.
Payday02

Postby Drakker » Mon May 05, 2014 12:57 am

Considering that the Gamebuino library allows you to read from an SD card... yes, you could do it all in one game, no problem.
Drakker

Postby Payday02 » Mon May 05, 2014 2:03 am

Ok thanks!
Payday02

Postby adekto » Mon May 05, 2014 2:48 am

im not sure if and what the legal concerns are, sorry im a bit careful with this since u know nintendo
for the sd card the systems would work and people are also working on a better sound system so thats going to be fun to hear
adekto

Postby Payday02 » Mon May 05, 2014 4:37 pm

I believe that as long I do not sell the game, it is ok to use. Right?
Payday02

Postby Drakker » Mon May 05, 2014 4:46 pm

It's not ok to use it... but they are not going to go after you. It's akin to fan fiction. They will not prosecute authors of fan games on a rare DIY platform.
Drakker

Postby adekto » Mon May 05, 2014 6:40 pm

yea ok im not sure how we would host this for you for say the upcoming "download section" just in the unlikely event they may be able to seu the entire console

in the end it all relies on a name change (both title and ingame character) and u be more or less fine
adekto

Postby Payday02 » Mon May 05, 2014 8:25 pm

I can change names and enough of the plot line so that it won't have many, if any ties to the other games. Though I seriously doubt that Nintendo will come after us for it. There are many fan made games and stories and I have never heard of them actually suing anyone. Plus I am not making a profit off of it so they can't say that I am making money from their product.
Payday02

Next

Return to Project Guidance & Game development