buinomon open development : story

Advice on general approaches or feasibility and discussions about game design

Re: buinomon open development : story

Postby AeroQC » Fri May 16, 2014 7:42 pm

Hello adekto, glad to see that interest is still abound for this game.

Act 1, as you put it, showcases the introduction of Metro Technologies to the player.
Metro Tech is where the device that created the buinomon was developed and from then on has been the center of buinomon research. The protagonist's father is a leading researcher there as well.
During a visit from the protagonist, the theft of some research regarding a buinomon-related virus takes place (as of now, that's all that's stolen, but there has been a idea of some buinomon being stolen as well).
Since the protagonist's father was injured during the theft and thinks there might be a mole in the company, requests that the protagonist retrieve the research with the help of a buinomon under his care.

Here's a quick rundown of the characters and locales:
(No names have been decided as of this post)
Prominent characters
    Protagonist
    Father
    Thief (disguised as scientist)
Background characters
    Scientists/Assistants
    Guards
Locations
    Home
    Metro Tech Lobby
    Father's Lab
    Infirmary

Just to give an idea of the size of Metro Tech, think Silph Co. from the Pokémon games. I intend to bring the player back to Metro Tech and explore more of the facility later on, but in the beginning only the Lobby, Father's Lab and the Infirmary will be available.

I'll work on a demo story for now, since I seem to have a lack of feedback recently.
AeroQC

Postby SilentSpy » Tue May 20, 2014 10:26 pm

I like how the dad works at this company and you even get a taste of it in the beginning of the game, I even have an idea that gets the plot started inside Metro Tech that is centered more around the protagonist than his father. Although I like the idea of the father playing a role in it I feel that the motivation that keeps the player moving forward should be more about him or how the attack/robbery affect him. Honestly unless his father was either dead or in critical condition I feel like there's not much motivation behind the characters actions. I feel like if I were to know a little more background like how old is the protagonist, how hurt was the father, and why this device was so important if Metro Tech was already an established company and Buinomon (Buinomen?) were widespread (assuming they were because if you only fought one company the game would feel a little shallow) then I would most likely be less critical of the story because it would feel a lot less like Pokemon Gold/Silver's plot-line.

Just got home and I am very tired; if something is confusing or incorrect (either story/lore-wise or grammatically) message me and I'll elaborate/fix it.
SilentSpy

Postby HTel » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:26 am

My opinion: This should be like a core pokemon game, but I want a plot twist like those other great ideas(not saying this is a "great" idea). I think that it should start as a normal pokemon game, then there should be some huge twist that will make you stunned for a second(like earthbound's for SNES plot twist or Portal 2 for PC plot twist), and you would see no interference for the rest of the game... until the end, when you face it. Sorry if it is a bad idea
HTel

Postby adekto » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:40 am

urg u have no clue what ur talking about, guys please continue with the original story
adekto

Postby Skyrunner65 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:21 pm

Anyone even working on this anymore?
Skyrunner65

Postby Minest » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:23 am

AeroQC wrote:TL;DR: I think we need some game mechanics as well.

Here's one, since some people are sceptical about the buinomon. We could have instead of battles, arguments to convince them that they arent bad. Sort of like Phoenix Wright but a bit simpler.
Minest

Postby SirMudkupThe3rd » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:13 pm

So are we still on the first act or what?
SirMudkupThe3rd

Postby SirMudkupThe3rd » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:20 pm

So I like the story so far and kind of reminds me of custom robo arena. Anyway how are we going to have the protagonist choose his buinomon?
Will the father have a few on hand or will he find some in a random box or will you not be able to choose and its the same one every time? Forgive me if this has already be decided I'm new to this forum.
SirMudkupThe3rd

Previous

Return to Project Guidance & Game development