Ideas on how you could approach a mmo?

Advice on general approaches or feasibility and discussions about game design

Ideas on how you could approach a mmo?

Postby ProCoder » Sat May 24, 2014 10:49 pm

Hello! I am new here and a soon owner of a gamebuino! Though as you can see by the title of this, is there any way to make a mmo that would be connected through the internet?
ProCoder

Re: Ideas on how you could approach a mmo?

Postby adekto » Sun May 25, 2014 10:32 am

yes its possible using a expansion module that similar to the "Arduino Ethernet Shield"
but to be honest the chance you will have any benefits of being online is very low since what can u do with the small screen and not many people would be online since they ether wont have the expansion module or are not in the same timezone

as alternative u can do a local multiplayer by daisy chaining a couple gamebuino's together
adekto

Postby rodot » Sun May 25, 2014 11:55 am

Actually the arduino ethernet shield allows you to host a micro-server, but you can't really use it as a regular Ethernet client. But you could create a network with only servers sending each other requests, it's not usual but I think it'd be possible.

I don't really know how the WiFi shield works, that could be another solution.

You could also connect you gamebuino to a computer (USB or wirelessly) and use the computer as a bridge... Just kidding :P
rodot
Site Admin

Postby ProCoder » Sun May 25, 2014 6:54 pm

Thanks for the reply, so I am just wondering if this would be possible. Having a group of gamebuinos connected, but they could all play a simple gun game where they would be split into teams and such though?
ProCoder

Postby adekto » Mon May 26, 2014 4:26 am

sure totally possible to make
adekto

Postby rodot » Mon May 26, 2014 7:51 am

It's pretty easy by connecting (daisy-chaining) your Gamebuinos together using the I2C ports. I you want to go online and play with people from all around the word, it more difficult, yet possible.
rodot
Site Admin

Postby ProCoder » Mon May 26, 2014 10:08 am

That is really cool! I honestly got the gamebuino so I could try to make simple games and stuff but honestly now I know that this kind of stuff is possible I can't wait try get my gamebuino!
ProCoder

Postby ripper121 » Mon May 26, 2014 11:41 am

ProCoder wrote:That is really cool! I honestly got the gamebuino so I could try to make simple games and stuff but honestly now I know that this kind of stuff is possible I can't wait try get my gamebuino!

You can all test with the emulator ;)
ripper121

Postby ProCoder » Mon May 26, 2014 6:20 pm

The problem for me on that is I had troubles with the emulator, I used the exe file and put in crabinator but it gave me a battery issue.
ProCoder

Postby rodot » Mon May 26, 2014 7:26 pm

Yeah, the emulator doesn't support the battery level. You can disable the battery warning in the Gamebuino library in file battery.cpp. More info in the page 5 of the emulator thread.
rodot
Site Admin

Next

Return to Project Guidance & Game development