Super Tank Melee V 0.3

Advice on general approaches or feasibility and discussions about game design

Super Tank Melee V 0.3

Postby pyr0pete » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:18 pm

Super Tank Melée

I've always dreamed of making my own retro tank game, so I'm very proud to introduce my first project for the Gamebuino to you. Super Tank Melée is paying homage to all great tank games from the 80's I've never played on my C64 - that was Super Dogfight (1983) only - but always heard about.

stm_logo_xxl.gif
stm_logo_xxl.gif (1.75 KiB) Viewed 5162 times

Gameplay
You can either play alone and compete against enemy AI or play against friends. To make the singleplayer more interesting there will be missions or campaigns to complete (I haven't decided about this, yet). The multiplayer offers two game modes so far, one a simple Deathmatch mode, where you play against other players, and a Rush mode (much like in Battlefield 3 for example) where you have to destroy or defend crates, depending on what team you are playing.

Destructible World
I think that a destructible world is a must-have for this kind of game and adds even more fun to it. Remember games like Movie Monster Game from Epyx (1986) where you could wreck a whole city? Stuff like that. You are gonna be able to destroy all kinds of buildings, flatten the woods or sink your tank inside the river, so better watch out where you're driving.

Custom Maps
Some of you probably remember Stunts by DSI (1990), a great racing game with an awesome track editor. I've spent hours and hours of making my own tracks and playing around with it, so I've decided to give Super Tank Melée a map editor, too. It's probably gonna be a very simple app using JS, CSS and HTML that will run offline in your browser. You'll be able to build your own maps to share, play with friends etc.

What else?
As I am progressing I gonna update this post constantly, so don't miss out on checking on it frequently. If you have any ideas or would like to contribute in any way, please feel free to post here.

8-)

Cheers,
pyr0pete

Updates

Update Thursday, 08-14-2014

Maps! I've been working on a first version of a map. It's actually an area of 30x30 tiles (with 16x16 pixels for each tile, 480x480 pixels in total). The building process takes some time - and is, especially with no editor at hand, rather slow. Speaking of an editor, I've decided to look into the matter further thinking of it as an app that is running in your browser. You can drag and drop items on the stage, defining rotation and stuff, then receive some code or hex-file, I'm not sure how to handle file types with Gamebuino yet - however, this is an first idea.

stm_map-1.gif
stm_map-1.gif (12.48 KiB) Viewed 5007 times

Update Friday, 08-01-2014

More graphics! I worked a little on some gui elements for the menu, these are the results so far:

Main Menu - Select Gamemode

A) Start Singleplayer Session
B) Start Multiplayer Session
C) Exit Game

Singleplayer - Select Map

A) Load Default Map
B) Load Custom Map
C) Back to Main Menu

Multiplayer - Host or Join Session

A) Host Session (WiFi/Cable)
B) Join Session (WiFi/Cable)
C) Back to Main Menu

Multiplayer - Host Game and Select Game Mode

A) New Deathmatch
B) New Rush
C) Back to Multiplayer Menu

Multiplayer - Select Map

A) Load Default Map
B) Load Custom Map
C) Back to Multiplayer Menu
Last edited by pyr0pete on Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:32 am, edited 18 times in total.
pyr0pete

Re: Super Tank Melee V 0.1

Postby treflip » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:31 pm

This looks fun. Wifi module will be great!
treflip

Postby pyr0pete » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:28 am

treflip wrote:This looks fun. Wifi module will be great!

Thanks, I hope it's gonna be a lot of fun. 8-) The Wifi module will also be included.
pyr0pete

Postby DFX2KX » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:20 am

Nice, seems I'll have to get back around to finishing up my own tank game, there will be competition XD.

Keep up the good work.
DFX2KX

Postby pyr0pete » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:38 pm

DFX2KX wrote:Nice, seems I'll have to get back around to finishing up my own tank game, there will be competition XD.

Keep up the good work.

I have to admit that I am rather slow progressing, as I have a lot of work to do from times to times :)
pyr0pete

Re: Super Tank Melee V 0.3

Postby Skyrunner65 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:48 am

How much programming have you done so far?
Other than taht question, it looks good and I'll keep an eye on both of your games (DFX2KX, If it is viewed from the side rather than the top, that would be different.)
Skyrunner65

Postby pyr0pete » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:15 am

Skyrunner65 wrote:How much programming have you done so far?
Other than taht question, it looks good and I'll keep an eye on both of your games (DFX2KX, If it is viewed from the side rather than the top, that would be different.)

I've done about 0.1 % of programming so far, thus, the design process isn't completed yet, so I gonna finish the design first and then start programming.
pyr0pete

Postby Skyrunner65 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:23 pm

It's great, but so far I don't know how to implement a menu like that.
You may have to rely on the library's default menu.
Skyrunner65

Postby pyr0pete » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:28 pm

Skyrunner65 wrote:It's great, but so far I don't know how to implement a menu like that.
You may have to rely on the library's default menu.

I think it is possible by using switch/case statements, draw the depending sprites and call the depending functions.

But that will come later :D
pyr0pete

Postby Skyrunner65 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:50 pm

Just thought of a system: using variables.
if menu=0, then it is the main menu.
It can continue so on and so forth.
Skyrunner65

Return to Project Guidance & Game development