Chat?

Improvements for the web system, applications to moderator, spam, etc.

Chat?

Postby rodot » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:06 am

Same old question... some think a chat a must have, others don't.
What would you prefer ?
Slack ? Discord ? IRC ? Build-in chat on the website ?

...and I just made an official discord, just in case: https://discord.gg/GbSkRyU
rodot
Site Admin

Re: Chat?

Postby Sorunome » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:19 am

How about all four, linnking stuff together?

There are multiple webchat <--> IRC bridges and from there on you can bridge to matrix ( https://matrix.org/ ) which opens the world to slack, glitter, discord etc.
Sorunome

Postby Drakker » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:39 am

I'm fine with IRC, if it can be linked to other systems, then good. But good ol' IRC is probably more than enough.
Drakker

Postby rodot » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:41 pm

Using several chats hooked together would just waste our time linking and debugging everything (like image sharing, private channels and watnot).
IRC isn't really noob friendly I think, not really used by youngsters. At least that's the perception I have of it.
rodot
Site Admin

Postby Sorunome » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:36 pm

rodot wrote:Using several chats hooked together would just waste our time linking and debugging everything (like image sharing, private channels and watnot).
While that is true, IMO that isn't that much time, like, after you set it up it just works. Plus you wouldn't self-code but use others code. Several chats would yield the advantage of having a greater outreach, idk.
IRC isn't really noob friendly I think, not really used by youngsters. At least that's the perception I have of it.

From what I gathered these days IRC is mainly used in the programming community. There are many web-irc chats that makes things easier, like kiwiirc, mibbit, etc. And many also use the IRCCloud app, which is supposively pretty fine
Sorunome

Postby rodot » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:45 pm

All these clients look like the come straight from the 90'... I'm really more inclined to discord and other "modern" solutions (Imagine streaming Gamebuino tutorials). Any known limitation to Discord ?

Outreach isn't a problem in my opinion, nowadays you have 5 different chatting apps and it takes < 5 seconds to go to the website and create an account.
rodot
Site Admin

Postby Sorunome » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:50 pm

rodot wrote:All these clients look like the come straight from the 90'... I'm really more inclined to discord and other "modern" solutions (Imagine streaming Gamebuino tutorials). Any known limitation to Discord ?
Closed-Source proprietary, I don't think video calls are implemented yet. And that is the least place you'd search for a programming question....then again, that isn't what the chat will be fore, so not really downsides
Sorunome

Postby rodot » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:23 am

Sorunome wrote:Closed-Source proprietary, I don't think video calls are implemented yet. And that is the least place you'd search for a programming question....

Agreed, but you made one so I thought it would be ok, trying to live with my time ! Closed source is a good point.
IRC it is then, which modern, easy to use, free, open source client would you prefer ? I never used IRC *hides*
rodot
Site Admin

Postby Zvoc47 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:11 pm

I'd like Discord or something that records chatlogs and which has an Android app for it.
Zvoc47

Return to Website and Forum