Composite TV out adapter

Show us your Gamebuino clone or the last module you made.

Re: Composite TV out adapter

Postby DFX2KX » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:45 am

I can actually see the screen! :O

I go on hatius for awhile and more amazing happens. Figures! Nice work... Right, back to beating this generic ISP programmer....
DFX2KX

Postby Myndale » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:56 am

Quick update: I haven't forgotten about this, I just ran into some last-minute problems and was too busy to sort them out over the break. Basically there are two issues with the code as it stands:

1) When the game loader flashes a new game to memory it resets the device in order to start the game. This causes the SPI CLK pin to momentarily drop to 0 which the TV adapter mistakes as being an extra bit. From that point on all the screen bytes it receives are out of sync by 1 bit. The same thing happens if you do a manual power cycle, you have to do another 7 to get things looking right again.

2) Yoda's games (which I really want to support, because they're awesome) are all misaligned by 1 column. I've looked at the output with a logic analyser and he seems to be using a slightly different format to send his screens.

The second issue should be easy to fix but I'm still experimenting with the best way to tackle the first....it basically involves resetting the SPI read shift register, something that isn't documented in the AVR data sheet. It's not just a simple matter of resetting the entire SPI system because the timing is completely unpredictable and it has to be done in conjunction with the highly-critical composite TV signal generation (which in turn needs to be accurate down to 1 clock cycle if you want a clean signal).

I'm happy to post the (messy) code here if anyone's interested in seeing it, otherwise I'll wait until it's all working properly.
Myndale

Postby batteries » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:56 am

Very cool project! :D

Would video-out allow for rendering other resolutions or is that something that's dictated by the Gamebuino libs?
batteries

Postby Myndale » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:39 pm

batteries wrote:Would video-out allow for rendering other resolutions or is that something that's dictated by the Gamebuino libs?

Sure, if you write the game to support it then you can do anything. That wasn't really the point of this experiment though, this was done to show that you can display Gamebuino games on a TV using ANY game that uses the Gamebuino library without needing to modifying it.
Myndale

Postby cyberic » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:56 am

Hi Myndale!
I'd be interrested in buying some kits, if you sell it

Any progress on your tracker?
cyberic

Postby Awesomemario128 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:28 am

Does the audio come out of the TV maybe you can make a headphone jack :D
Awesomemario128

Postby Awesomemario128 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:44 am

How big is the program? Will it fit on this?www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NLAMS9C/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1434937386&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=arduino+mini&dpPl=1&dpID=51PlS70kajL&ref=plSrch
Awesomemario128

Postby albertinjo » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:44 pm

I am working on a kit based on Myndale's Gamebuino TVout project.
Follow this thread, more information soon!
albertinjo

Postby albertinjo » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:25 pm

Hello
While working on a custom PCB for Myndale's TVout module I decided to upload a video so you can see a bit more of this thing in action.
In the video TVout module is breadboarded, connected to my DIY gamebuino v1.0 project
(viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1194&p=9336&hilit=DIY+gamebuino#p9336)
and playing R0d0t's awesome Super Crate Buino videogame.
Take a look:
albertinjo

Postby Sorunome » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:42 pm

Wow, this is looking awesome, great job! :D
Sorunome

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware Gallery