Maruino

Share your games and programs with the community.

Maruino

Postby ajsb113 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:38 pm

Have you been looking for a platformer you can spend time mastering? Have you been looking for a game that may challenge your skills? Do you wish to play a game and test codes to see what they do? Well I have the game for you!

Maruino!
Features include but are not limited to:
Brilliant level design!
Enemies to bounce off of!
Mushrooms that make you grow :D
Scores!
Secret codes that change an aspect of gameplay :)
And more levels to come!

Maruino.zip
(99.21 KiB) Downloaded 1454 times

The menu is self explanatory, and controls are listed under "Controls".

Feel free to leave comments/suggestions, as I plan to update with more levels and such.

Note:
Please do not spoil codes for others. Some people may wish to figure them out themselves. If you'd like to "crack" them, go ahead, just no spoilers. Thanks!
Last edited by ajsb113 on Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
ajsb113

Re: Maruino

Postby jprules10 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:46 pm

Could you please post some screenshots?
jprules10

Postby ajsb113 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:33 am

Added screenshot! Sorry about the wait!
ajsb113

Postby Sot0 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:35 am

That looks awesome, cant wait to play it!
Sot0

Postby ajsb113 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:58 pm

Hey guys! Just wondering if any of you have beaten all the levels. If so, any suggestions on edits to the current levels or new level ideas? I'm thinking about adding some new levels :)
ajsb113

Postby Jerom » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:34 pm

I played a bit, stucked at the 3rd level, so i didn't find any 'codes' yet, but it's pretty great!
Jerom

Postby batteries » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:52 am

Very cool game. I can't wait to try-it-out when I get my Gamebuino. :)

I'm curious, though. I'm new to game design. What are the design/software limitations, if there are any significant ones, with making animated level elements such as rotating/moving platforms, destroyable blocks, vertical and horizontal scene changes (like tubes in Mario Bros), reactive enemies, etc...?
batteries

Postby ajsb113 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:54 pm

I played a bit, stucked at the 3rd level, so i didn't find any 'codes' yet, but it's pretty great!

Thanks! Also, the codes aren't hidden in the game, they are just something to guess and check with, though I may put some sort of popup telling some in a future update.

I'm curious, though. I'm new to game design. What are the design/software limitations, if there are any significant ones, with making animated level elements such as rotating/moving platforms, destroyable blocks, vertical and horizontal scene changes (like tubes in Mario Bros), reactive enemies, etc...?

In this game, I had a tiled map with each 8x8 pixel space being its own block, and if you check the maps.ino you can see. As for making them move, it's entirely possible. With the tiled map all it takes is moving its x or y coordinate, and rotation can be done with a method. Animation can be simple like flipping the sprite horizontally like coins, spikes, and goombas in this example, or a list of sprites like the walking animations. The only limitation is how efficient you can make it with arrays and such. Also, organization is key with multiple objects. You'll have to understand how the arrays work and how to access each element. Hope this answered your question! :)
ajsb113

Postby Zvoc47 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:50 am

Wow! I love it! I've played it on the emulator, though.

However, I don't like it how I spawn on the top left corner without any pause screen in between and I run onto a Goomba until I find out what's going on and already lose two lives in a row or when I walk left and I die twice by falling through the left side of the screen, lol.
But it's pretty much good anyway. I wish the duck button could be replaced with a fire button and that Maruino ducks with the down button. I can't resist firing into enemies or holding the fire button to run at full speed. It's so much fun to do that.

Also, would you mind if I added those things myself into the code and showed you? I'll give credit to you.
Zvoc47

Postby monsterkix » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:54 pm

I would like to ask the first 5 off the beginning of how? There is a moving thing card in a position, and then jumped and died
monsterkix

Next

Return to Games Gallery