Fighting Fantasy gamebook engine

Share your games and programs with the community.

Re: Fighting Fantasy gamebook engine

Postby deeph » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:12 pm

You're reading and printing each letter at a time from the sd card ? I think you'd probably better read the whole screen first (copy on memory), and then process it (remove spaces on starts of lines, avoid truncations...).

And the font is indeed currently in progmem, but i think it could be put on the sd card for example, since speed isn't on issue with this kind of app.
deeph

Postby mougino » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:26 pm

Almost yes: I am buffering text from SD Card at current offset (enough characters to fill the screen i.e. 21x8 + a few more bonus characters), and then I display each character from this SRAM buffer on screen char by char, yes.

This is necessary mainly to display the blinking cursor, but I guess this could be used to detect a word going over a line, going back to the first space before the word, and inserting a "\n" instead...

Now that I think of it, since I got rid of the dynamic fonts and always use font3x5 in the book, I could do all this tedious work in my PC software that formats the book!! The CPU power there won't be a problem! Hmm this is a new horizon :roll:

I think I will share the code of my app very soon, for people to see how I have dealt with text buffer and possibly improve it...

Nicolas
mougino

Postby deeph » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:33 am

Yes you're right, this should be done on the PC side (and could even be doable with a variable-width font ;)).

As I want to end up with a new print() function with my custom font, I think you could implement it easily. Currently I don't know where fonts are stored, but I guess mine isn't bigger than two "standard" fonts. By the way, I can't locate the original print() function on the arduino folder, does anyone knows where it is ?
deeph

Postby lapin00b » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:05 am

In case you are still looking for beta-testers, I would be glad to try your gamebook engine.
I am from the french speaking part of Belgium and regarding copyright issues, I am 99% sure I still own a copy of that book in my parents house (need to find it in the library though).

Pour information, je trouve ton idée excellente. Je me suis toujours demandé pourquoi ça n'existait pas sur e-reader des livres qui te baladent au bon endroit en mémorisant ton parcours, tes actions, etc... Donc un grand bravo de l'avoir fait sur Gamebuino !
lapin00b

Postby jonnection » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:25 pm

deeph wrote:By the way, I can't locate the original print() function on the arduino folder, does anyone knows where it is ?

https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/tree ... es/arduino

hardware/arduino/avr/cores/arduino in local, files Print.h, Print.cpp
jonnection

Postby deeph » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:06 pm

Thanks, I ended up finding it too but still not the write() function :D
deeph

Postby mougino » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:28 pm

Code to my fighting fantasy engine is now open to anyone on https://github.com/mougino/Gamebookuino
There is already a couple of issues entered in GitHub.

Nicolas
mougino

Postby jonnection » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:12 pm

Bonjour Nicolas

J'ai essayé Gamebookuino, et en francais aussi... mais je ai eu quelques problemes (et non seulement avec la langue :lol: ).

Quand j'arrive a la fin de la premiere page (avec tous les instructions de jeu), il dit "tournez la page". Mais comment on fait ca ?

Aussi, le premiere page est trop longue. On doit appuie le bouton vingt fois a lire la page. Tu as certainement besoin d'un meilleur systeme de navigation.

Mais c'est un projet vraiment tres intressant. Continuez le travail, s'il vous plait !
jonnection

Postby jonnection » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:34 pm

Aha ! J'ai appuyé "Aller au..." dans le menu "Actions" et j'ai ouvert la page numero 2. Certainement ce n'est pas la page correcte, parce que il y a une ogre ... mais pas de probleme, je l'ai tué...

Apres quelques minutes de jeu, à mon avis, le systeme de combat et les autres pages fonctionnent très bien.

C'était le debut de la jeu - ca marché pas. C'est trop difficile.
jonnection

Postby mougino » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:00 am

Yes sorry ;) this will be fixed in next version, you actually need to turn to paragraph 1, not 2. 1 is the beginning of the adventure.

The intro is way too long, this has already been changed too.

And I fixed the words being cut at the end of the line.

All these changes were made in the .LDV file, the engine (and so the app) stays the same.

I will push my changes to GitHub today.

Nicolas
mougino

PreviousNext

Return to Games Gallery