[SOLVED] Gamebuino NOT charging/too much USB power/TX RX ON

For problems with Gamebuino itself, NOT your project

[SOLVED] Gamebuino NOT charging/too much USB power/TX RX ON

Postby Leonskibeat » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:49 pm

Dear all, today I received my new Gamebuino after a long wait! However I cannot seem to be able to charge it - I've tried to connect it to my Apple MacBook, but the charge light does not light up - also the Mac says that there is too much power being drawn from the USB port. I have also tried to charge it from a wall adaptor USB charger - same problem with it not charging.

Another thing I noticed, since first switch on is that both the TX and RX leds are constantly lit, and that the power light is very dim by comparison. (The RX light now seems to have switched off, with the TX light constantly on). Everything else is functioning well. I have done th C button to re-flash the loader, but this made no difference.

The battery started out at around 3700mV and is now at critical 3551mV!!! I'm starting to panic - PLEEEASE somebody help!
Many thanks,

Leonskibeat :ugeek:
Last edited by Leonskibeat on Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Leonskibeat

Re: Gamebuino NOT charging/drawing too much USB power/TX RX

Postby Leonskibeat » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:53 pm

UPDATE: tonight I checked all the traces and component solder connections under a stereo microscope, and everything seems to be connected quite beautifully actually. No solder bridges anywhere and only 1 blob found. This leads me to think its a component issue - I suspect either a short inside the usb socket (hence the 'drawing to much USB power' warning), or a faulty control chip. Still hunting for a solution so please comment/advise if you can help!

Many thanks again,

Last edited by Leonskibeat on Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Leonskibeat

Postby Sutchig » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:41 pm

Hi,

it seems i have this issue too. all pins except 5v are connected to ground/shield (0 Ohm resistance). My only way to charge is an usb otg adapter with switch in charging mode on my convertible which has this little usb plug. a normal usb loader doesnt work, maybe because it tries to detect the charging amount by measuring the resistance between the data pins. (or ground->data??? cant remember)
With my older gamebuino i had a similar problem: one of the data pins is connected to shield. therefore the usb adapter - to upload sketches, because the adapter disconnects the shield wire.
Sutchig

Postby Leonskibeat » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:32 pm

Dear Sutchig,

Thank you for taking the time to reply - may I ask, do you also have the issue of TX/RX leds permanently on :?:
I have not yet measured if the USB socket pins are behaving correctly, but I suspect the two issues are related, then again perhaps not. I'm sure the TX/RX lights should be off unless there is a USB cable plugged in and an active data connection working. My TX/RX lights are constantly 'on' without a cable even being plugged in! The TX/RX issue I could live with for the time being, but my main issue now is not being able to charge, regardless of laptop/wall/or other 'on the go' chargers, and after testing numerous USB cables in every combo - not looking good for me, but I still have faith in this wonderful project.

Leonskibeat

Postby Sutchig » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:39 pm

Hi,

the RX/TX leds where permanently on and power led a little dimmer. but now rx/tx are off and to sadly i can't remember at which step they turned off.
i did test to charge via various methods (see above) and flash with arduino (not recognised by OS). Flashed loader, settings and several games (sdcard), too.
You may check if 5v usb pin is connected to ground/shield. if not, chances are good to charge your gamebuino. (maybe a cable with all other wires than VCC/GND cut??)
Sutchig

Postby Leonskibeat » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:05 am

Many thanks again Sutchig for your generous and informative reply. I will check the USB connections thoroughly as soon as I get a chance. In the meantime I've heard back from Mr Rodot, and he's kindly offered a replacement if I send the original one back. I will leave an update here soon.

Best regards,
Leonskibeat

Postby Leonskibeat » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:21 pm

Hello again!

Yes, I've just checked the connections on the USB socket, and they indeed are ALL connected to ground. The socket itself is fine, so I suspect it's something to do with the FTDI chip (U3). I will keep this defective Gamebuino for analysis/testing/spares, and purchase a new one at some point to help further contribute to this incredible project.

Leonskibeat

Postby Leonskibeat » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:09 pm

BTW Sutchig - I was just playing B-RALLY and realised you are the coder!!
Excellent work, attention to detail - plays like a dream. Thank you!

(I can run my Gamebuino now after I soldered on a holder for 2x 18650 rechargeable batteries in parallel - 3.7v @ 4000mAh - should last weeks! also 'decommissioned' the USB socket so that there is no danger of me trying to charge these via the Gamebuino) Not quite pinpointed the root of the problem, but an awesome outcome nonetheless.

Best,
Leonskibeat

Postby Sutchig » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:50 pm

so... i desoldered the usb socket... (dont know if i get it ever back in position :/)
it was mounted to far at pcb. so the shield got in contact with (at least) the lanes on pcb for D+,D-. Now on the FTDI chip theres no more a short circuit between d+/d-/gnd/vcc. (pins 15,16,18,20)
Sutchig

Postby Leonskibeat » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:15 pm

Excellent work! sounds like you've found the root of the problem! I shall have to investigate on my Gamebuino. Meanwhile, I'll consider this issue solved. Many thanks for your help Sutchig.

Leonskibeat

Next

Return to Installation & Troubleshooting