help me with that bootloader

For problems with Gamebuino itself, NOT your project

Re: help me with that bootloader

Postby albertinjo » Fri May 16, 2014 3:59 pm

The indiegogo update says that the last boot-loader bug was fixed. I shall try the new version soon. (I dont have much time now)

Thank you for the help in making this work on an unofficial hardware.
albertinjo

Postby rodot » Fri May 16, 2014 4:47 pm

Yep, now the bootloader should be okay with any SD card. The latest version is on Github (not updated on the wiki yet).
There is two hex files you can choose from:
- gamebuino_boot_simple.hex = just the bootloader (as before)
- gamebuino_boot.hex = bootloader + settings.hex: this way once the bootloader is flashed it will directly allow you to change the settings which are stored in the flash memory (like contrast)
rodot
Site Admin

Postby albertinjo » Tue May 20, 2014 8:24 am

Thanks!
albertinjo

Postby albertinjo » Wed May 28, 2014 7:34 pm

I tired the new loader sketch and I see no difference with the older version, it still loads only some simpler games from the sd card, sometimes it seems to corrupt my SD card, so I have to format it again (a lot of random files and folders appear). Also sometimes it glitches so I have to restart my arduino a few times.
I was wondering if the led diode tied to pin D13 (I have arduino nano v3.0) is responsible for this. (D13 is used for communicating with lcd and the sd card)

I havent tried the bootloader yet because I am to lazy (take my other arduino out of the closet, connect them together, upload arduino as ISP.....takes a lot of time)

Meanwhile I managed to connect your crabator, pong and bouncing ball example in one multi game(i called it multi game).
I was suprised as it took only 27KB of memory.
Next I am going to add pong 2 player to see if they all fit in program memory.
Attachments
IMAG1215.jpg
IMAG1215.jpg (93.06 KiB) Viewed 5221 times
IMAG1216.jpg
IMAG1216.jpg (86.71 KiB) Viewed 5221 times
albertinjo

Postby rodot » Wed May 28, 2014 8:18 pm

It's normal that you don't see any differences with the last loader sketch has the fixes are in the bootloader itself. Sorry, but you'll have to flash it again if you want to solve your problem! If you're too lazy, you can buy an USBasp on ebay from china from something about 3€, so you won't have to mess with the Arduino as ISP setup.
rodot
Site Admin

Postby albertinjo » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:09 pm

Recently I tried the new bootloader. Now I can load not only simple games but alse more complicated ones. The problem is that I cant invoke the loader sketch after the game is loaded to flash memory from sd card.

Basically I flash loader.ino program to my arduino (via my PC), the loader sketch loads a game from the SD card, but I cant invoke the loader sketch to load another game. When I press C button on startup it just says "loading" and restarts.
albertinjo

Postby inversesandwich » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:50 pm

albertinjo wrote:Recently I tried the new bootloader. Now I can load not only simple games but alse more complicated ones. The problem is that I cant invoke the loader sketch after the game is loaded to flash memory from sd card.

Basically I flash loader.ino program to my arduino (via my PC), the loader sketch loads a game from the SD card, but I cant invoke the loader sketch to load another game. When I press C button on startup it just says "loading" and restarts.

Don't you need LOADER.HEX on the SD Card?
inversesandwich

Postby albertinjo » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:34 pm

Yes I have copied the LOADER.hex to my SD card.

Rodot, in your last post you said:
There is two hex files you can choose from:
- gamebuino_boot_simple.hex = just the bootloader (as before)
- gamebuino_boot.hex = bootloader + settings.hex: this way once the bootloader is flashed it will directly allow you to change the settings which are stored in the flash memory (like contrast)

Can you explain me how to choose which bootloader I want to program into my arduino, when I was burning the bootloader I just followed the instructions, which say:

1) Copy the contents of this folder into a new folder in C:\arduino-1.0.5\hardware\arduino\bootloaders\gamebuino_boot

So I just copied both boot.hex files along with other files in the folder and burned the bootloader.
albertinjo

Postby rodot » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:57 am

When you burn the bootloader using the arduino IDE it uses the file name provided in boards.txt, so by default it will burn gamebuino_boot.hex. You should use this one because it also includes "settings.hex", this way it will start up right after you burn the bootloader and allows you to set the contrast and check that the Gamebuino works fine.
rodot
Site Admin

Postby albertinjo » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:47 pm

The bootloader works really weird on my aruino, the loader sketch works fine, I can read files from my sd card with the SDfat library. Only problem is that I cant invoke the loader sketch while holding the C button on startup??
albertinjo

PreviousNext

Return to Installation & Troubleshooting