help me with that bootloader

For problems with Gamebuino itself, NOT your project

Re: help me with that bootloader

Postby Skyrunner65 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:24 pm

Rodot, How much did the MicroSD Cards cost? (also, what brand and model?)
Skyrunner65

Postby adekto » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:06 pm

appears to be sandisk
i asume class 4
128mb? image is to blurry to tell
adekto

Postby rodot » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:40 pm

Yep, SanDisk, 128MB. The class is not written on it, but we don't care as long as we communicate with them is SPI mode which is way slower.
rodot
Site Admin

Postby albertinjo » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:10 pm

Thanks, I will try the newest loader and bootloader. I find gamebuinos bootloader amazing, it allows you to load hundreds of different programs.

Also i was wondering is it possible to make a gamebuino program which will play mp3 files from the sd card, it would turn your gamebuino into an mp3 player.
albertinjo

Postby ripper121 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:54 pm

I dont think so, becouse you need some cpu power to decode mp3, but i think wave or other raw formats will work.
ripper121

Postby rodot » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:29 pm

Not MP3, but raw audio files yes : http://gamebuino.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=530
rodot
Site Admin

Postby DFX2KX » Fri May 02, 2014 4:27 am

rodot wrote:BTW I received 250 SD cards, I tried a few of them and they work flawlessly with the bootloader :)
microsdeverywhere.jpg

That's the biggest pile of SD cards I've ever seen. (I'm trying figure out 123D circuits, I'll have to report back to see if the boot-loader works there, as well)
DFX2KX

Postby albertinjo » Fri May 09, 2014 7:06 pm

Today I updated the bootloader on my gamebuino and uploaded the loader sketch.(I uploaded the version I downloaded 2 weeks ago, I do not know if there is a newer version) And it magically worked. The loader sketch now works with a noname 2gb sd card and a samsung 2 gb sd card (both are from cell phones), and it does not work with my new sd card I bought especially for this purpose (probably because it is class 4).

The loader now lists all games on the sd card, but it doesnt want to load some games. In fact it loads only simple games like conaways game of life, bouncing ball, hello world example...

And when i load a game with the bootloader i cant invoke the bootloader again. So I figured out the bootloader is not working. But the loader sketch is working.

Also I have encounterd some strange glitches for example sometimes I have to reset my arduino a few times until the loader sketch lists programs located at the SDcard. And when I say yes to writing EEPROM to crabbator.sav it erases some programs from the SD card and makes some weird folders with random ASCII symbols, and then I have to format my sd card if I want it to work again.

By the way rodot I tried to play the tetris song on my gamebuino and i was amazed with the sound quality, it even works smoothly as a background process of any game. I admire your work, will you make a music converter that converts chiptunes from various formats to gamebuino code?

I decided to solder my gamebuino so now I am buying some parts for it, I always wanted to make my own game console.
Attachments
IMAG1191.jpg
IMAG1191.jpg (91.46 KiB) Viewed 5256 times
IMAG1190.jpg
IMAG1190.jpg (96.84 KiB) Viewed 5256 times
albertinjo

Postby Myndale » Sat May 10, 2014 3:09 am

The bootloader and eeprom save/restore code use two completely separate libraries, given that you're having a lot of problems with both I'd say the most likely explanation is a noisy SPI pin connection. We have discovered that some cards are having timing issues, rodot's currently testing out a new version of the bootloader I mailed him today that switches all cards to low-speed for both bootloading and game loading. If they seem to solve the last few problems we're seeing then I'll put it on the wiki and email an update here.
Myndale

Postby erico » Sat May 10, 2014 4:28 am

Good going Myndale!
Appreciate the time you are taking into the project. :)
erico

PreviousNext

Return to Installation & Troubleshooting