[SOLVED] Screen connection/contrast problem

For problems with Gamebuino itself, NOT your project

Re: Screen connection problem

Postby BlackDragon » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:57 pm

I fixed it! It was bad connection: I disassembled the gamebuino, detached display and I detached that "rubber connection thing" from display, then I cleaned it ... then I assembled everything together and It's working. Thank's for help, rodot.
Also I found out(after pealing the protective plactic from screen) that it has huge scratch from the top of the screen to almost to the bottom, but it's just cosmetic fault.

Gamebuino's working ;) , photos: https://mega.co.nz/#F!NIEQWQQC!-ZEx--JrvjPW-LVqLsr_CQ
BlackDragon

Re: Screen connection problem

Postby rodot » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:00 pm

Great, I'm glad you solved your problem.

About the scratch... These screens are recycled from older cell phones so they often have tiny nicks or scratches. There's no such thing as a 'new' Nokia 5110 display, but the scratches should not be noticeable when in use. When a screen is really too badly scratched, I put it aside and send it back to my supplier. I understand your disappointment and I regret it :(
rodot
Site Admin

Re: [SOLVED] Screen connection/contrast problem

Postby BlackDragon » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:01 am

It's noticible, but it's fine ;)
BlackDragon

Postby jhhoward » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:16 am

I was a bit surprised to see my thread as 'solved' since I'm still having problems, but I'm glad to see that other people are fixing similar issues!

I've ordered a replacement screen from dx.com as ripper121 suggested, but it will take a while to deliver. BlackDragon mentioned he detached the rubber connector from the display and cleaned it. I didn't try this with mine, so I'll take a look. Perhaps if this is a common problem then the wiki should be updated with steps to clean the connectors?
jhhoward

Postby rodot » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:29 am

Mmh, I marked it as solved as cleaning the rubberized contact solved the problem for everybody who tried it. Please try this and if it doesn't solve your problem them we'll proceed to a replacement. I understand your disappointment and I regret it.
Although I would not advise to take the rubberized contact off the screen as some dust could get into the screen then it would be very difficult to clean it. I tried it on a few screens and they completely stopped working.

And I added that solution to the wiki few days ago ;)
rodot
Site Admin

Gamebuino screen issues

Postby Jacko1222 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:03 pm

As you can see, I have posted a video explaining the problem (Excuse the low volume)

However, to detail it further, the screen only produces an output when a) booting, b) on the SD loader, or c) occasionally during the first few seconds of a game, however, this is rare.

I would like it to work all the time, since I paid just under £32.50 for each one. Should I be send an alternate screen, or send it back, or even just remove and reinstall the screen (not recommended, due to me being incompetent at hardware or DIY)?

Thanks,
Jacko1222
Jacko1222

Postby rodot » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:41 pm

Hello Jacko,
It seems like a screen bad contact issue, please go through the getting started page there is a part which explains how to troubleshoot your problem. Please try the different solutions suggested and come back here if none of them solve your problem. I'm sorry about the inconvenience :(
I hope that helps! :)

PS: I merged your topic with this one and edited it for the YouTube video to be embedded.
PPS: please don't PM me to ask me to answer your posts
rodot
Site Admin

Glitched display

Postby alxnns1 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:23 am

I recently got my gamebuino and decided to start making a little top-down shooter.
I was testing it out on the gamebuino through the SD (not upload) and suddenly the screen started to glitch a bit, some bitmaps would disappear/move around etc.
I turned it off and loaded LOADER.HEX by holding C while turning it on.
The glitch started happening on the loader aswell where the bitmap displacement would get progressively worse until the screen was completely black then it would restart the gamebuino and start the glitch all over again.
I've tried deleting the game i was making, loading LOADER.HEX by upoading through the usb but its still bugging out.

alxnns1

Postby rodot » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:53 am

Did you you try to go through the solutions suggested to troubleshoot display issues on the getting started page?
rodot
Site Admin

Postby yodasvideoarcade » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:53 am

My screen also stopped working yesterday night at 3:00 while coding Paqman.

I ordered some replacement screens at amazon.

Fortunately I have a second Gamebuino that still works.

I would be really happy to get a working emulator for Mac.
yodasvideoarcade

Previous

Return to Installation & Troubleshooting