[Solved]Setting up a timer

Understanding the language, error messages, etc.

Re: Setting up a timer

Postby ajsb113 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:27 pm

Here's my code for the game thus far. I'm sorry about how unorganized/messy it is, it's a work in progress. Thanks for taking a look at it!
Attachments
Maruino.zip
(2.65 KiB) Downloaded 222 times
ajsb113

Postby Zoglu » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:18 pm

I got your timer to work by commenting out your updatePlayer call (file "Maruino", line 44). The problem might come from this !

EDIT : here is what you have at the beginning of your updatePlayer function :
Code: Select all
  if(time = 0){
    startGame();
  }

If I remember correctly, if(time = 0) doesn't check if time equals to 0, but instead changes time to 0 and returns true. You should try to change it to if(time == 0).
Zoglu

Postby ajsb113 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:55 pm

Thank you! I knew it was going to be something as stupid as a missing = sign :roll: . Thanks for checking it out! :D
ajsb113

Re: [Solved]Setting up a timer

Postby Myndale » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:07 pm

There's an interesting trick in the book Writing Secure Code (I think) in which you write these types of statements with the constant on the left hand side of the equation i.e. "if (0==time) ....". Reason being that constants cannot be assigned to, so if you do accidentally forget an equal sign the compiler will throw up an error.
Myndale

Re: [Solved]Setting up a timer

Postby rodot » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:33 am

Myndale wrote:There's an interesting trick in the book Writing Secure Code (I think) in which you write these types of statements with the constant on the left hand side of the equation i.e. "if (0==time) ....". Reason being that constants cannot be assigned to, so if you do accidentally forget an equal sign the compiler will throw up an error.

Nice tip, thanks! :)
rodot
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Programming Questions