Sketch too big... but only on some computer

Understanding the language, error messages, etc.

Sketch too big... but only on some computer

Postby frakasss » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:24 am

Hi,
I experienced something 'strange' this WeekEnd.
I'm working on several different computer (at least 2: @work, and @home).

@Work, I'm able to compile my code, and sketch size is 32 254 bytes (so just below the limit).
@Home, I tried to work on the project again and launched a compilation on my laptop. Sketch size was bigger than 38000bytes...

I checked Arduino version, and have the same version on both computer (1.6.5).
Is this issue related to GB libraries? What can be the reason of this quite big difference?

Thanks for your help! :)
frakasss

Re: Sketch too big... but only on some computer

Postby mougino » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:47 am

Hello Frakasss, the sketch size limit for Gamebuino is 30 592 bytes, not 32 256 bytes, because you need room for the boodloader.
So even at 32 kB your app won't run on the Gamebuino unfortunately...

In the Arduino IDE make sure to select Tools > Board > Gamebuino (the last in the list) instead of the default Arduino Uno.

Back to the size difference, if you are sure that the Arduino lib is exactly the same on the 2 computers, then the difference can only be in the Gamebuino lib indeed ;)
Try to start fresh and re-install the same environment on the 2 computers, e.g. from a same zip on your USB key.

Nicolas
mougino

Re: Sketch too big... but only on some computer

Postby frakasss » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:32 pm

Hey Mougino!
Thanks for your quick reply!

the sketch size limit for Gamebuino is 30 592 bytes, not 32 256 bytes, because you need room for the boodloader.

That's exactly what I didn't wanted to see... :D
Big additional work on optimization to reduce sketch size should be done now... :'(

About the board, you're right: the default one is still selected on my @work environment... However, I made some tests, and this doesn't seems to impact Gamebuino since I'm able to run games...

I'll made additional tests later.
frakasss

Return to Programming Questions