Newb at game making Sprite and game map developing

Understanding the language, error messages, etc.

Re: Newb at game making Sprite and game map developing

Postby Sorunome » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:07 am

Duhjoker wrote:Ill check that out.

But just to make sure we are both on the same page. We are talking about the 8bit original versions. They are all in double digit kilobytes.

alttp was for the snes which is 16-bit. I couldn't find cartridge sizes for LA, but the cartridges for the gameboy are 256 Kb - 8 Mb and LA was probably more towards the upper end

EDIT: lowercase b meaning bit, so 32 KB - 1MB
Sorunome

Postby Duhjoker » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:56 am

Sorry I think there's been a misunderstanding. I'm not doing "a link to the past". I'm doing the NES first Zelda game ever, "the legend of Zelda".

The mame rom I have for classic legend of Zelda is only 76kb

Let me look for the metroid 2 return of Samus rom

Is there a prewritten RLE algorithm for Gamebuino?
Duhjoker

Postby Duhjoker » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:12 am

Yea my metroid 2 rom is 256 and even the NES version original version is too large at 129kb
Duhjoker

Postby Sorunome » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:33 am

I don't know of a pre-written RLE alg. for gamebuino but you can probably find something in c/c++ . Also, RLE is really simple to implement, you could try a custom implementation ;)
Sorunome

Postby albertinjo » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:39 pm

Duhjoker wrote:Yea my metroid 2 rom is 256 and even the NES version original version is too large at 129kb

Greetings.
One more thing to take in mind: you shouldn't compare NES games with the Gamebuino games. Especially not with the ROM size. NES games were probably written in assembly language, here you have a C compiler. The amount of code you write and the way you code it depends on how large the Gamebuino game will be. Best way to estimate how big your game will be is to start coding something. Draw a few sprites and e.g. make one room for your zelda game, then make two rooms... try to make everything optimized and play with datatypes. These are all the things that will prove as a useful experience. So you shouldn't look at 32kB only as a limitation, but also an opportunity to gain some mad coding skills..... low level FTW
albertinjo

Postby Duhjoker » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:58 am

I just finished making all the LOZ sprites except the bosses. Fortunately I have half the sprites encoded. Gonna rest my eyes tonight since its its 2AM and try to code a room and character like you said. Tomorrow.
Duhjoker

Postby Duhjoker » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:00 am

I took a day off in the computer. I was seing grey and black pixels every where. Just a lil monotonous creating sprites. Any way i started encoding them this afternoon and just stopped for the night.

Since there is a flip command does that mean i really only need one sprite per side except left and right. So molblin facing north. Molblin facing south and molblin facing west. West can be flipped to face east?

Also i had an idea but i dont know if ut would possible or more trouble than its worth but here it is.

The overworld map could be split into 4 sections. Each quarter will have its own program.

Could a command or another program be built to link the seperate programs together and remember the inventory of the chatacter when switching maps. So if link had 5 bombs and 21 rupees on the map he will also have them on the other.
Duhjoker

Postby albertinjo » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:44 am

I don't know how the flip works, but the other thing you pointed out there is possible. The save data could be saved in EEPROM and would then stay perserved when flsshing a new game. I think there is no game that represents this in the games gallery. It would be nice if you'd implement this in your game ...
albertinjo

Postby Sorunome » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:45 pm

Saving to eeprom is the way to save persistant data, such as save states. The loader (the thing where you picj games) takes care of saving the eeprom to the sd card and loading the correct one when picking a game
Sorunome

Postby Duhjoker » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:00 am

Thats awesome!! Now i worry less about the amount of sprites. All the all the over world terrain tiles will be the same just add the monsters to the correct areas.

I was able to save a lil space with monsters. Most like the pols voice and staffos hop from side to side or up and down with out having a left, right, up, or down, meaning they just need one sprite. From what i can tell ghini and wizzrobes are just re-pixeled and the same layout. I could put lil pixel glints in the corners to seprate the varities? if needed.

What do you think i should do about sprites that use the same base image?

Well off to start encoding the monsters. Only have 39. Just want to get it over with.

Would any body mind critiquing my sprites. You can find the download link to my drop box in a couple places already but ill paste a fresh link.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ad1kpdkswak5 ... RelZa?dl=0
Duhjoker

PreviousNext

Return to Programming Questions