Saving values to EEPROM

Understanding the language, error messages, etc.

Saving values to EEPROM

Postby naed » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:23 pm

I wonder if anyone could help me with the simplest way to save my byte values to EEPROM??

is it as simple as this?

Code: Select all
#include <SPI.h>
#include <Gamebuino.h>
#include <EEPROM.h>
Gamebuino gb;

byte number1 = 1;
byte number2 = 2;

EEPROM.write(0, number1);

and then to read them

Code: Select all
#include <SPI.h>
#include <Gamebuino.h>
#include <EEPROM.h>
Gamebuino gb;
byte number1;

number1 = EEPROM.read(0)

to be honest I've looked at the examples in all the games that use saves but am struggling to understand how to save to EEPROM - the above is the simplest way I've seen it explained but not sure if it will work at all?
naed

Re: Saving values to EEPROM

Postby Sorunome » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:45 am

Yeah, that is exactly how you do it.

When you start your game for the first time and haven't modified eeeprom yet everything is zero, so when you are saving something it might be a good idea to just write a 1 at place 0 so that you know there is actually a save.

You don't have to worry about other games changing eeeprom and stuff, the loader takes care of that while switching games.

EDIT: Of cource that exact sample wouldn't work as the code you run needs to be either in the setup() or the loop() function, outside of functions you can only variable definitions, such as byte number1 = 1;
Sorunome

Postby naed » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:49 pm

Thanks Sorunome :D

Yeah I'm aware that exact example wouldn't work but that was only written to give an example of what I'm trying to achieve...

you may know the answer to this question also...

If I load another game whilst in my own game using the load_game(MYGAME) function, is it true that EEPROM will not be reset, thus allowing me to carry over a save files to another game??
naed

Postby Sorunome » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:06 pm

yes, that is true. load_game only flashes the game, it does nothing at all with eeeprom.

load_game("LOADER") would flash the loader, the loader itself detects that it has been, well, loaded, takes the eeeprom and saves it to the SD card. Then when the user picks a game it checks if there is a savefile on the SD card, if there is one it'll write that one to eeeprom manually before calling load_game
Sorunome

Postby naed » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:16 pm

Awesome, and thanks again for the response

Looks like I'm setting myself up for a long night of working on my game
naed

Postby naed » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:26 pm

Just an update to this... I managed to get this to work and you can view the results in my main project thread if you'd like to

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3509
naed

Return to Programming Questions