Animations for cut screen

Understanding the language, error messages, etc.

Animations for cut screen

Postby Duhjoker » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:39 pm

Hope the title makes since.

Ok so I've been playing around with building a Gamebuino color version of Dragon Warrior NES. Right now I'm at printing world maps from the tilemapper app.

Any way like all the great RPG's I need to create cut scenes and animations for the like the villagers and stuff. So when I walk up to a seller his sprites will walk over to the counter or what ever. So how exactly do make these animations?

Also I think I might hold up on Dragowarrior for now and try to create my own actual game instead of porting one over from a different system. My idea is for a game based on the dune saga, one the most iconic sci-series ever written.

Most of the first book takes place on Arrakis which all sand and rock so four colors max(?) on the world map instead of the current 8 I'm using for the DW world map.

The game would start like the book not the movie. So caladan is the first part of the game. Lady Jessica whispering while Paul pretends to sleep. Do the pain box as a challenge where you have to push a button so quickly to keep his hand in the box and avoid the gom jabber.

Then a shield fight with and few other things before departing to Arrakis. Actually do the game according to the book and nothing else. The game would be linear at first but then open to explore the whole planet.

Items like spice for medicine and sand trout for water and spice.
Duhjoker

Re: Animations for cut screen

Postby Sorunome » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:53 pm

Since cutscenes use a lot of similar elements it might be a good idea to write a bytecode interpreter to parse live how the cutszene looks like, so that, e.g. you could do like {0x00,0x01,5,5} where 0x00 would mean "fade screen from white", 0x01 means "move camera to position" and then the next two bytes are the x/y coordinates.
Of cource you'd need to program all these routines manually. I wrote such a system for the gameubino community RPG thing, the code can be found here
Sorunome

Return to Programming Questions