Best written guide for a first game

Understanding the language, error messages, etc.

Best written guide for a first game

Postby Cole48 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:59 am

My gamebuino is still shipping and I have a great game idea that is very simple. I have already done the tried and true Hello World but I want to really learn how to make use of th functions and the getting started just has a link to 1 Youtube tutorial in English for programing. Is there any good tutorials (written instead of a video preferred) that I could follow for a slightly more advanced game using the libraries?
Cole48

Re: Best written guide for a first game

Postby yawn » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:55 am

Hello, there is no such thing as a guide for a first game on the Gamebuino. I suggest you read the reference and play with the examples provided with the library...
yawn

Postby Duhjoker » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:49 pm

That's funny!!! I started not knowing a lick of what I'm doing and read the reference constantly but there's not any real info to help a Newb start the process. But..... Someone's been upgrading the wiki to include basic instruction in Gamebuino game making.

I actually started off with that video on YouTube also. There's actually plenty of info in the forum. Look for newbs need..... The good stuff is always in the back pages but there is enough info to get you started.

Bitmaps and player Sprite movement
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3440

Collision detection
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3453

Items and changing tile maps
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3492

There are a ton of examples in these.

To start out....... What kind of game are you interested in making? Next..... Draw your sprites using any method you choose but check out Piskell its online but easy and fun to work with. Once you have your bitmaps then you can start the actual work.
Duhjoker

Postby naed » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:47 pm

Duhjoker is right, there is plenty of info in the forum to help you...

As you'll see by my posts the best way to get an answer is to try things first, then ask, then try, then ask some more. Don't be afraid to share your project ideas with us as we might be able to help with some of the specific things you want (instead of us guessing or pointing you in the wrong direction)

I knew nothing at all about programming before buying my gamebuino, but I'm well on my way to writing my own adventure game, all the info I needed for this was here in the forums, yes it took a while to find and understand but I got there (maybe I should have asked more questions)

More importantly is not to give up, I've seen so many people introduce themselves and say "hey I want to do this" only to never hear from them again... Stick around, become a part of the family
naed

Return to Programming Questions