Gamebuino meets MAKERbuino

Comments of the blog posts

Gamebuino meets MAKERbuino

Postby rodot » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:20 pm

Howdy Gamebuinians,

As mentioned in the previous post, I'm now going to recount you what's going on on a regular basis. It's been two months already… time flies! If you want updates more often, don't hesitate to tell me in the comments.

Disclaimer: most of my time goes into making Gamebuino ready to grow to the next level: planning, lawyers, accountants… But hey, there's still exiting news :) Read along...

First, Gamebuino had a booth at the Maker Faire: The European Edition in Rome. It was a HUGE event with more than 100 000 visitors over the weekend, and countless amazing projects. And many passionate people.

[...]

Read the original article
rodot
Site Admin

Re: Gamebuino meets MAKERbuino

Postby naed » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:53 pm

Awesome... Nice to see the updates
naed

Postby wuuff » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:53 pm

It's cool that there are multiple options in the Gamebuino ecosystem now. I hope this brings more people in to the community.

You mentioned you were taking the Gamebuino to the next level. I'm curious about the business side of it: how large is the market and what do you think about Gamebuino's competition? It seems like competing systems are very friendly with each other in this space, which is great, but I'm curious as to what you think of the future of open retro consoles and where Gamebuino fits in to this. Also, how do you plan on using your new office space? It would be interesting to see a post about the business side of gamebuino.

Another thing I'm curious about is how much the new library revision differs in size from the previous version. Could it push any games that barely fit into the flash over the size limit?
wuuff

Postby Drakker » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:38 pm

So can I trade in my R1 Gamebuinoes for new ones with headphone jacks? :lol:
Drakker

Postby Sorunome » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:13 pm

(remember to keep yours charged!)

What can happen if we don't keep them charged? How often is charging recommended? I already left mine lying around for months a few times.....
Sorunome

Postby rodot » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:15 am

wuuff wrote:I'm curious about the business side of it: how large is the market and what do you think about Gamebuino's competition?

Well, that depends what market you are talking about : Retro gaming ? Open source consoles ? Makers ? That's what was "new" with the Gamebuino : it was a new combination of retro-gaming and Arduino. Since then competitors appeared, not to mention Arduboy. He did a great Kickstarter campaign, but I wouldn't say it really "hurts" Gamebuino. On the contrary, it's good that the customer can choose between different products. Competition is what makes us push harder... especially now that I depend on it to pay my rent ;)

wuuff wrote:It would be interesting to see a post about the business side of gamebuino.

That's a pretty good idea! I'll talk more about that in the next posts :)

wuuff wrote:Another thing I'm curious about is how much the new library revision differs in size from the previous version. Could it push any games that barely fit into the flash over the size limit?

Actually, I didn't check this. I'll re-compile the games this week, we'll see if any falls short of memory. Worst case scenario, you still have flags in settings.c to disable features (like sound) if you're out of space.

Sorunome wrote:What can happen if we don't keep them charged? How often is charging recommended?

There is a little quiescent current leak, meaning that after a few months the battery will be flat. After a while, it will be "so flat" that you won't be able to charge it again. Keep you LiPo batteries healthy, keep them charged ! Same problem for smartphones by the way, but as they have large batteries (and smaller current leak) they can survive longer without being charged... and most people charge them daily.
rodot
Site Admin

Postby rasebo » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:12 am

If anyone has a rev 4, I think they could prolong the storage time by disconnecting the battery from the board (since the latest one does have a connector). But it's still a small battery...
rasebo

Return to Blog