I- Download and install the Arduino IDE
Download the Arduino IDE
- This might require administrator rights on the computer
- Compatible with Windows, Mac, Linux, and even Raspberry Pi!
- Download and install the software
- Windows users: Install the drivers when asked to
Now, we need to setup two key elements to be able to program on your Gamebuino: the board and the libraries.
II - Install the boards
- 1 - Launch the Arduino IDE
- 2 - Click on "Files/Preferences"
- 3 - Copy the following address in "Additional Boards Manager URLs:". If you already have other URLs present, separate them with a comma ","
- 4 - You can check "Show verbose output during compilation" and during "upload" to have more info about what is going on under the hood.
- 5 - Click "OK"
- 6 - Click on "Tools/Boards/Board Manager..."
- 7 - Wait for the boards list to be updated. We will now download two boards
- 8 - Search for "Arduino SAMD" and install it
- 9 - Search for "Gamebuino META" and install it
- 10 - Sit down and relax while it's downloading. You can check out the Creations and give a few likes to kill time :)
- 11 - Click "Close"
- 12 - Click on "Tools/Boards/Gamebuino META" (at the bottom of the list) to select the right device
- Linux only: Give permission to the serial port with the following command, then log out and in again
sudo adduser <username> dialout
III - Install the library
- 1 - Launch the Arduino IDE (if you closed it)
- 2 - Click on "Sketch/Include Library/Manage Libraries"
- 3 - Wait for the library list to be updated
- 4 - Search for "Gamebuino META" and install it
- 5 - Close your eyes, breathe deeply and think about the game you want to make while it's downloading.
- 6 - Click on "Close"
If you have a Gamebuino, click on the button down below and try out your first code!
I have a Gamebuino