Get your computer ready to make Gamebuino META games in a matter of minutes!
Install the latest version of Arduino IDE (Or at least version 1.6.5)
The Arduino IDE (Integrated Development Environment) can be installed in two different fashions. Each method is detailed down below.
- Option 1 - portable version - Best option if you do not already have the Arduino IDE. This method is much quicker, less prone to error, and is configured out of the box!
- Option 2 - non-portable version - It is a good idea to follow these steps if you already have the Arduino software. Follow the steps, and do the ones that have not already been done (like board and library installation).
Quick and portable Method
Download the correct version according to your operating system:
Windows Linux 64-bit Mac
Then, decompress the file that you just downloaded. This step may take a moment or two; you can kill some time by up-voting a few creations ;) (On Windows we recommend to use WinRAR or 7zip for this if you have the option to do so. It much faster than the Windows tool).
Once the file is decompressed, open the folder and find "arduino.exe" on Windows, "Arduino" on MacOS, or "arduino" on Linux.
And voilà! The software is ready to be used! You may proceed to coding you first program :D
If for some reason, this method does not work, contact us and follow the steps below for the non-portable version.
Download the Arduino IDE
- This might require administrator rights on the computer
- Compatible with Windows, Mac, Linux, and even Raspberry Pi!
- Download and install the software
- Windows users: Install the drivers when asked to
Now, we need to setup two key elements to be able to program on your Gamebuino: the board and the libraries.
I - Install the boards
- 1 - Launch the Arduino IDE
- 2 - Click on "Files/Preferences"
- 3 - Copy the following address in "Additional Boards Manager URLs:". If you already have other URLs present, separate them with a comma ","
- 4 - While you're at it, you can check "Show verbose output during compilation" and during "upload" to have more info about what is going on under the hood.
- 5 - Click "OK"
- 6 - Click on "Tools/Boards/Board Manager..."
- 7 - Wait for the boards list to be updated. We will now download two boards
- 8 - Search for "Arduino SAMD" and install it
- 9 - Search for "Gamebuino META" and install it
- 10 - Sit down and relax while it's downloading. You can check out the Creations and give a few likes to kill time :)
- 11 - Click "Close"
- 12 - Click on "Tools/Boards/Gamebuino META" (at the bottom of the list) to select the right device
- Linux only: Give permission to the serial port with the following command, then log out and in again
sudo adduser <username> dialout
II - Install the library
- 1 - Launch the Arduino IDE (if you closed it)
- 2 - Click on "Sketch/Include Library/Manage Libraries"
- 3 - Wait for the library list to be updated
- 4 - Search for "Gamebuino META" and install it
- 5 - Close your eyes, breathe deeply and think about the game you want to make while it's downloading.
- 6 - Click on "Close"